Uncle Joe’s Donuts, winning family-owned business 

By Oralis Ward | Staff Writer 

DELICIOUS DONUTS  Uncle Joe’s offers an array of donuts known for being rich in flavor and history.

Donuts—mouthwatering, fluffy on the inside, sweet, crispy delights. 

I think it is safe to say that a majority of us prefer our donuts from renowned franchises like Winchell’s Donut House or Krispy Kreme. Already knowing the taste of these retailers’ donuts, we tend to put smaller and less popular donut shops as a last resort because who knows what their delicacies taste like. Regardless of being a family-owned business, Uncle Joe’s Donuts must be your first choice to fulfill your sweet or savory craving as their treats are exceptional and gratifying.  

When I took my first step inside Uncle Joe’s, I was immediately greeted by a light aroma of freshly-baked goods that were displayed in an organized manner. When choosing my order, their options were unlimited yet simple, with donuts, various sorts of icings to Danish pastries, and even huge muffins. Remarkably, I noticed Uncle Joe’s has so much to offer besides donuts since the store also sells sandwiches, coffee, and smoothies. 

In general, although a shop’s variation in food is important, the quality of its goods are the central component of a successful business, and Uncle Joe’s never disappoints in both areas. As I took one bite of their donut, it immediately rushed me to ponder which donut to have next. The outside layer of the bun was crisp and firm, while the inside layer greeted my mouth with cushy and fluffy bread, or a tangy jelly. Although the coffee was average and the taro smoothies were excessively too sweet, the sandwiches totally made it up.  

The veggie sandwich, one of the many sandwiches offered on the menu, was filled with fresh and crunchy vegetables. There was an abundant amount of vegetables like sprouts, avocado, and pickles inside a baguette bread, perfectly tarnished with mustard. 

As for the environment, Uncle Joe’s shop was very inviting. There were multiple seating areas with a television projecting the latest news, newspapers, and lottery machines dazzling many colorful scratchers. Although not the typical trendy or aesthetic area, I was still satisfied with Uncle Joe’s comfortable and family-friendly surroundings, which made the energy warm, and in some cases, nostalgic.    

Throughout Uncle Joe’s customer service, I can conclude that the experience felt fairly decent as the family workers were friendly, but were mainly quiet. 

Nevertheless, I cannot emphasize enough how satisfying my experience was with Uncle Joe’s. Previously residing on the baseball field of Gabrielino High School, the store’s current location sits in a plaza where it is usually never busy and an 18 minute walk from Gabrielino. 

Uncle Joe’s Donuts prices range from $1.25 to $4, and accepts cash only. 

Uncle Joe’s Donuts

633 S San Gabriel Blvd. 

San Gabriel, CA, 91776

(626)-287-3149 

Opens daily 5 a.m. – 9 p.m.