Marvel’s ‘Eternals’ is ambitious, but misses mark in more ways than one

By Kaylee Chan | Editor-in-Chief

STARS GALORE  The assortment of talent featured in “Eternals” is impressive but film is unsatisfying.

When it comes to Marvel’s newest release, “Eternals,” one thing is clear from the beginning— it is not a typical Marvel movie.

The film, which was released on Nov. 5, boasts a large ensemble of nine new superheroes based on the “Eternals” comics, which tells the story of the eponymous Eternals, a superhuman race made by godlike aliens known as Celestials. They were created to fight the Deviants, their destructive counterparts.

Gemma Chan plays the main protagonist, Sersi, who can manipulate the elements and carries a particular fondness for humanity. Her co-star is Richard Madden who plays the most powerful of the Eternals, Ikaris, her off-and-on lover who can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes. 

The movie includes other stars such as Salma Hayek as the leader of the Eternals, Ajak, and Angelina Jolie as Thena, the goddess of war.

As is fitting with such a large set of heroes, “Eternals” boasts the greatest diversity of any Marvel cast, with Marvel’s first onscreen gay superhero in Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), first deaf hero in Makkari (Lauren Ridloff), and first South Asian hero with Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani). Oscar-winning director Chloé Zhao is also the first woman of color to direct a movie for the franchise.

With so many characters, the movie takes on a hefty itinerary, both in introducing an entirely new set of heroes and figuring out how they fit into the grander Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). This, along with the movie’s attempt to cover the Eternals’ backstory through the entire history of humankind, goes beyond the scope of any previous Marvel movie.

While I found the deviation from the typical formula refreshing, the results of this ambition are debatable. “Eternals” is a film that hinges on the familial relationships between its characters, and while the group dynamics were compelling, the movie struggles in giving everyone in the cast justice with their storylines. Many of the protagonists wrestle with doubts over their existence, morality, and purpose, but these questions linger in the air without a satisfying resolution.

With the movie having such a broad scope, it is hard to imagine the world of the Eternals fitting within the MCU. It frequently struggles between being a classic superhero movie and pursuing its own independent vision, making it a detriment to those looking for either. This, along with multiple loose ends left from the plot, makes the film somewhat unsatisfying when treated as part of a greater series.

However, the ambition of “Eternals” pays off when it comes to artistry. The film is strong in its cinematography and beautiful natural settings, many of which were shot on location. 

As someone with little investment in the general MCU, I found it an entertaining watch despite its flaws. Those who come in with expectations, however, might find themselves disappointed. “Eternals” tries to do something different with its storytelling, and unless one happens to be all for unique experimentation with strikingly grand mythology, this new Marvel release might be more of a miss than a hit.