Girls basketball dealt hard loss in CIF

By Annie Phun

Editor in Chief

On Feb. 9, the varsity girls basketball team faced off against Saint Bonaventure High School in the Large Gym for their second CIF game.

As this was their first time in history playing against the Seraphs, the Lady Eagles began with an intense offense, scoring the first points of the game within seconds.

“My goal for the team going in was to set the tempo, be aggressive, and push the ball,” stated Coach Desiree Almaraz. “[The other team] had the advantage with size, so we had to run and make them tired.”

Unfortunately, Gabrielino’s top scorer this season, senior Jennyfer Morales, co-captain, received three fouls in the first quarter and had to sit out. SBHS was quick to capitalize on this weakness, alternating between press breaks and fast breaks to end the first quarter, 19-4.

“After [Morales] was benched, we were overwhelmed,” said senior Megan Trieu. “Our shots weren’t going in, but I still didn’t want to give up hope.”

With Morales back on the court halfway through the second quarter, the girls began making a comeback and decreased the Seraphs’ lead to eight. However, as both teams struggled to keep their fouls to a minimum, senior Taylor Vuong, GHS’s point guard and other co-captain, suffered a injury to the ankle and was taken out at the end of the third quarter.

Although Vuong stepped back in during the last five minutes, GHS was unable to make up for the loss. The game ended with a harsh defeat to the Lady Eagles, 74-56, marking it the end of their season.

Feb. 7 was an important day for the Lady Eagles as they competed in the first CIF round against South Pasadena High School. The team took home the win, 64-49.

GHS obtained a win against El Monte High School on Feb. 1, 58-18. This was their last conference game as part of the Mission Valley League, and the girls ended the season with a record of 10 wins, 2 losses.

In their second game this season against South El Monte High School on Jan. 30, the Lady Eagles swept a win, forcing a running clock in the fourth quarter, 77-16.

Although the team faced difficulty with foul trouble on Jan. 25, they triumphed over Arroyo High School, 39-26.

Playing against Marshall High School on Jan. 23, the girls won, 59-26.

The Rosemead High School Panthers proved to be worthy opponents when they defeated the team for the second time on Jan. 18, 49-40.

“We got into foul trouble, and our shots weren’t falling in,” stated Morales. “Our momentum was slow.”

Because they only lost against RHS, the Lady Eagles placed second in the Mission Valley League.

The game against Mountain View High School on Jan. 14 had GHS walking away with another win, 51-41.

Setting off another continuous clock, Gabrielino gained a win against the El Monte Lions on Jan. 11, 62-16.

On Jan. 9, the team beat SEMHS, 68-32.

Keeping the Arroyo Knights to a mere five points in the first half, the girls added another win to their record on Jan. 7, 41-18.

GHS secured a win against MHS on Dec. 20, 54-43.

In the first game against the Panthers, the Lady Eagles were dealt their first conference loss, 50-46.  

Competing against Mountain View Spartans on Dec. 12, the girls began the season with a bang as they received a running clock and won, 62-26.