Top Ten Heartbreak Songs

By Stephanie Rubio

1. Post Malone – “I Fall Apart”

This song was written by Post Malone in 2016 and recounts a heartbreak he experienced back in high school when he was fooled  by the same girl twice. He puts his pain into words as he explains, “She told me that I’m not enough, And she left me with a broken heart.”

1. Bryson Tiller – “Exchange”

Singer and songwriter Bryson Tiller sang, “Lord please save her for me… I hope she’s waiting for me” in his song “Exchange” released in 2015. The song was written to an ex from his college days in hopes that she would hear it on the radio and take him back.

1. Neyo – “So Sick”

Neyo made his name as a solo artist in 2005, as the song reached number one in the US and the U.K. He sings of his hate for love songs because they remind him of all his lost relationships. Neyo emphasizes the pain of  coping with a breakup, “Gotta fix that calendar I have. That’s marked July 15. Because since there’s no more you. There’s no more anniversary.”

1. XXXtentacion – “Jocelyn Flores”

Jahseh Onfroy, also known as XXXtentacion, released his album  “17” and is known for the hit song “Jocelyn Flores.” The song tells the story of a girl he loved that committed suicide shortly after she visited him in Miami, and his struggle to overcome her death. On June 18, 2018 he was murdered in an attempted robbery at 20 years old, leaving behind incomplete music and heartbroken fans.

1. Eminem – “Love The Way You Lie”

Eminem’s song featuring R&B singer Rihanna was released in 2010. “Love The Way You Lie” was nominated for five grammys and topped the Hot 100 Billboard Charts. Rihanna sings about her hardships with domestic violence following her relationship with Chris Brown, while Eminem raps of his struggle with being violent in past relationships.

1. Juice Wrld – “Lucid Dreams”

“Lucid Dreams” was released on Juice Wrld’s album “Goodbye & Good Riddance.” He sings of his experience with sleep paralysis and nightmares as he continues to relieve the pain of his lost love. Juice Wrld sings, “I have these lucid dreams where I can’t move a thing, thinking of you. You were my everything.”

1. The Weeknd – “Call Out My Name”

Canadian singer The Weeknd’s performance of “Call Out My Name” at Coachella 2018 went viral when halfway through he began to cry. Following a breakup with his girlfriend Selena Gomez the song revolves around their breakup as he sings, “I said I didn’t feel nothing baby, but I lied, I almost cut a piece of myself for your life” since it was believed that he was going to give his kidney to Selena due to her health conditions.

1. Drake – “Marvin’s Room”

Included on his album “Take Care,” “Marvin’s Room” was released in 2011. Drake starts off the song with a recording of his ex-girlfriend’s voice as he refused to move past his relationship with Erika Lee, who later sued him for the use of her voice on the track. On the song, he voices his frustration with the fact that she has moved on, “I know you still think about the times we had.”

1. Sam Smith – “Too Good At Goodbyes”

Hitting number one in the U.K. and reaching the top five on the Hot 100 Billboard Charts, Sam Smith’s song “Too Good at Goodbyes” was released 2017. It was inspired by a past boyfriend and Smith wrote the song to explain how he copes with pain. Smith sings, “So I’m never gonna get too close to you. In case you go and leave me in the dirt.”

1. Wiz Kalifa – “See You Again”

Featured on the last scene of the movie “Furious 7”, “See You Again” went far beyond the big screen as it was written as a tribute to actor Paul Walker. Walker died in 2013 in a car accident before they finished the seventh movie. The song was written about the heartbreak the cast experienced as they lost someone they considered family. The last scene is of Walker and Vin Diesel driving into the sunset as the song plays, “Everything I went through you were standing there by my side. And now you gonna be with me for the last ride.”