Year of the Pig’s alluring history

By Leslie Lim

Imagine waking up a few hours late and frantically rushing to the annual Chinese New Year celebration. After bursting through the door and hoping that there are a few egg rolls left, the golden brown delights are sitting on the table. But instead of only missing out on a few egg rolls, the very first Pig might not have become one of the 12 Zodiac signs.

This year is the last year in the 12 year cycle of the Chinese Zodiac, each year corresponding with a specific animal. Although it is the year of the pig, most do not know that they were the last of the 12 animals to make it to the Heavenly Gates and greet the Jade Emperor. According to ancient Chinese lore, this was due to one issue many students can relate to: oversleeping.

On the very first day of the new year, the Pig fell asleep and woke up hours late. Rushing to the gates, they were the last to make it through, becoming one of the 12 animals to become a part of the Zodiac and was given the honor of guarding the gates with the other 11.

Because the Pig made it through the gate during the evening, many consider 9 p.m. through 11 p.m. “pig’s hours,” and find this time to be very lucky.

Although the first Pig was not as punctual as the other animals, people born in the year of the pig are considered to be intelligent, thoughtful, and gentle. All of these factors contribute to their ability to handle money and gain wealth. They might not always be first in a competition, but will always remain steady in their abilities in order to advance themselves in life.

However, they may be overconfident and might neglect or overlook certain issues in their lives. They should remember to take breaks and relax once in a while in order to have a peaceful and happy life.

This year will not be easy for those born in the year of the pig because this year’s zodiac sign is “ben ming nian,” meaning that there will be danger and trouble everywhere. Pigs must be resilient and work hard towards their goals as next year will be prosperous and they will be able to reap the fruits of their labor.

Welcoming the new babies born in the year of the pig will not be a challenge as they symbolize wealth and prosperity. But if they make the same mistakes as the first Pig, they will never achieve the success they are projected to have.