Girls soccer kicks through season

By Raymond Tran

Copy Editor

Tomorrow at 3:15 p.m., the Gabrielino High School girls varsity soccer team will face off against El Monte High School for their last league game of the season.

Last season, the Lady Eagles beat the Lions both times they played against them. This year, they are hoping to keep up their hard work as they prepare to take them on for the second time this season.

Yesterday, the team played a home game against South El Monte High School. Scores were unavailable during press time.

On Thursday, the team kicked off against Arroyo High School and won/lost, ___.

On Jan. 22, the girls faced Marshall Fundamental School. Previously in the season, GHS had no problem beating  MFS in the match. However, this game had proven to be more difficult than they anticipated.

MFS made strong offensive plays that had taken GHS by surprise in the beginning of the game. After a frustrating first half, the girls were losing, 0-2.

“There was a lot of frustration in our effort,” sophomore Bianca Lua stated. “It’s mind over matter. Even though I was exhausted […] we needed to push through it if we wanted to win.”

Although the team suffered obstacles in the first half, the girls fought tirelessly in attempts to redeem themselves in the second half. Amanda Perez, junior, and Isabella Santos, sophomore, scored the first two goals. With minutes left in the game, freshman Sofia Chavez secured the winning goal for the team. At the end of the day, the girls were triumphant, 3-2.

“The difference between the two halves was us putting more effort into the team,” said co-captain Olivia Gonzales, senior. “We weren’t playing as individuals, we were communicating more.”

The Lady Eagles went up against Rosemead High School for the second time this season on Jan. 18 and won, 5-0.

Despite rain in the forecast, GHS persevered and won the game against Mountain View High School on Jan. 14, 5-1.

The team went up against EMHS once again at Eagles Stadium on Jan. 11. At the end of the game, the girls were victorious, 7-0.

“At the beginning of the season, our worry was that we had a lot of freshmen and fewer seniors,” co-captain Olivia Koyama, senior, stated. “There was a lot of new faces, but I was pleasantly surprised how we’re doing.”

On Jan. 9, GHS faced SEMHS and after an intense game won, 1-0.

“We had a really good defensive game, they had a lot of really good tall offenders, but we didn’t let them score,” stated Koyama.

The girls suffered their first loss against AHS on Jan. 7, 0-1.

In the game against MFS on Dec. 20, the Lady Eagles walked away with a win, 3-0.

On Dec. 18, the girls kicked off their season with a win at their home game against RHS, 2-0.