Pasadena restaurants feature cheeseburgers and deals

By Brittany Snow

From Jan. 6 to Jan. 11, restaurants in the city of Pasadena hosted a week long celebration of cheeseburgers to pay homage to the cheeseburger, an American staple first invited in Pasadena in 1924.

This year, 40 restaurants, with specialities ranging from Hawaiian cuisine to fine dining, participated in this week-long celebration. Though many did not serve new cheeseburger additions to their menu, multiple locations offered discounts on certain food items or off the total bill.

Bacchus’ Kitchen served their Bacchus’ Kitchen Burger, a burger made with ground lamb with mint and garlic on ciabatta bread, pan seared Haloumi cheese, Cabernet reduced mustard, and a parsley red onion salad.

Cameron’s Seafood sold their Classic Kobe Burger and a Blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich. The sandwich is made with blackened Mahi Mahi, tartar sauce, lettuce, and tomato.

The Counter returned their Old School burger, a ⅓ lb. burger served with Tillamook Cheddar Cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and pickles on a Brioche bun with a side of small fries for $10. The mention of the Cheeseburger Week Special gave customers an additional discount.

Dog Haus in central Pasadena offered KPOP, two griddle-smashed Creekstone beef patties, kalbi glaze, white American cheese, and KPOP 1000 island served on a grilled King’s Hawaiian bun for $6.99.

Dog Haus Biergarten provided their Hangover Burger for $5 all week.

Du-par’s restaurant and Bakery honored William “Tiny” Naylor, who in 1932 added his own version of a cheeseburger with grilled onions on grilled sourdough bread, which ultimately created the Patty Melt.

This is similar to when Lionel Sternberger created the cheeseburger while working at his father’s roadside stand, the Rite Spot. He later named it the Aristocratic Burger which only costed 15 cents at the time of creation.

El Portal brought back their signature Zacatecas Burger, a blend of Yucatan pork smothered with cheese on a grilled roll.

Pie n’ Burger had a special throughout the week to commemorate their 55th anniversary. They offered dine-in customers a cheeseburger or burger combo with a side dish for only $10.

Rounds Premium Burgers offered a 15 percent discount of the total food bill, excluding alcoholic beverages.

Yahaira’s Cafe served the Yahaira Burger, alongside a special alternative to the classic cheeseburger, the Zacatecas Burger, created by chef Armando Ramirez especially for Cheeseburger Week.

Central Grille, formerly known as Central Park, Clearman’s Galley, and more did not have a new creation nor a known discount available during this week.