Boys basketball shooting high for their upcoming season

By Leslie Lim

On Dec. 5, the Gabrielino boys varsity basketball team will take on Providence High School at 5 p.m.when they travel to Burbank.

On Nov. 26, the Eagles competed at the Sierra Vista Tournament. The scores were not available at press time.

This year, the team has to overcome a variety of obstacles. Most notably, the six seniors that left all held important roles on the team.

“We’ll be fine, we’ve got a lot of good, talented, young players who are ready to step up and take leadership roles,” Coach John Carney stated.

On Nov. 15, the Eagles played at home against Bell Gardens and after a long battle were dealt a hard lost, 56-65.         

GHS started the game off on a high note, with Captain, Tyler Lam, junior, scoring four three pointers in the first quarter.

However after the first half, the boys began to falter as they lost their energy and their aggression began to drop.

“I feel like our team is losing our momentum throughout each game[…], but I have a feeling we’ll find ourselves in future games,” Lam stated. “These losses are discouraging at first, but we help each other get up and get ready for the next game.”

After a close match against Temple City HIgh School on Nov. 13, the boys suffered a loss, 55-53.

Though off to a shaky start this year, the team seems to be showing a more unified front as their playing style has become more team oriented and their communication has opened.

“I feel confident in this team because we have more hard workers. Last year was more about individual [skills],” Captain, Johnny Nishimoto, senior, stated.   

The team feels optimistic going into this season as they feel their relationships and bond has grown.

On Nov. 12, the team scrimmaged against San Marino at San Marino High School and clinched a win, 45-38

This year, after last year’s disappointing run in league and CIF, the team plans to go farther than they have in recent years.  

“I feel like we all have important roles to the team and if we do good, we can do well this year,” sophomore Preston Gilmore stated.

With a new starting lineup full of fresh faces, the team is especially confident as new talent emerges. Gilmore is the only sophomore on the team and he has become one of the starters.

“I think we’ll do good in league, […] and will surprise people at CIF,” Carney said.