In(Sanin) family football legacy

By Megan Tran

Copy Editor  

Dynamic. Active. Supportive. Athletic director, Harold Sanin and his two sons, junior Donivan Sanin, and freshman Garrett Sanin are well known in the Gabrielino High School community as avid sports enthusiasts.

Both Donivan and Garrett are currently on the football team with their father as the head coach. Their brother, alumni Harry Sanin, was also part of the football team showing that a love for  sports runs in their veins.

“I have always been passionate about football because my dad has always been around [it],” reminisced Donivan. “I started playing football when I was in 10 and have enjoyed it ever since.”

Both Donivan and Garrett are grateful to have their father as their coach and as a teacher at Gabrielino.

“My dad won’t let me slack off and pushes me to be better because he knows that there are always areas where I can improve,” Garrett said appreciatively.  

By working at Gabrielino, Coach Sanin is able to be a coach and a parent to his kids through supporting them at their sports events.

Having two sons in sports, there are many times where they stay hours after school and sometimes even before school starts.

“Sometimes if we need to come early my dad can always take us and come to work, which can be difficult for parents who do not work at Gabrielino,” stated Garrett.  

Many parents do not have the luxury of seeing their children at school besides attending certain school events.

“I get an extra hour a day before coming to work and after work with my kids where I can ask them how their day went whereas other parents may not have that opportunity,” Coach Sanin said happily. “I love the time I get to spend with them.”

Coach Sanin and his sons have created a special bond through their love of sports, especially football. From seeing each other on and off the football field, sports ties them together.