Boba Boys drink in Say What win

By Annie Phun 

Editor in Chief 

Participating in Say What Karaoke for the fourth time this year, the Boba Boys concluded Homecoming Week by placing first at the final performance on Oct.19.

Say What Karaoke is a staple of Gabrielino High School’s Homecoming Week, as many students from all grade levels form groups to enter the competition. Originally, a singing competition, this event has evolved to include gimmicks, dancing, and anything a student can present to entertain their audience.

This year’s Say What Karaoke tradition had participation from three groups, the Asian Youngsters, ASB Gang Gang, and the Boba Boys. The event spanned a total of three days.

The Asian Youngsters were eliminated on the first day, while the latter two teams advanced to the finals at the end of the week. For the first performance, groups were allowed to create their own soundtrack, while those who advanced to the finals performed to a pre-mixed recording given to them by ASB the day before.

“Our one foal before going on stage was to entertain the audience no matter what,” stated senior William Tantribeau, member of the Boba Boys.”We wanted them to feel every emotion we were trying to convey, and we did that by adding a variety of scenes that wee funny but also heartwarming, like the one of us reminiscing on Say What 50 years from now.”

Dancing and singing to songs ranging from “Final Countdown” by Europe to “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston, the Boba Boys won the audience over with their inclusion of props such as wigs, banana costumes, and ninja masks. Members include seniors William Chen, Hien Huynh, Alec Moran, Tantribeau, and Dennis Wong, who was called to fill in for Chen at the final performance.

“I liked the Boba Boys’ performance the most because they were really unique and adapted to each song.” said senior Sohaib Usman. “It was really cool when they brought in Iggy to do a backflip.”

The Boba Boys’ opponents, ASB Gang Gang, was a returning groupo from last year’s competition created by senior Amanda Holguin and included juniors, Amanda Brunjes, and Ana Lopez, and seniors Jacob Baldonado, Jackie Guiterrez, Dita Lamdjani, April Rivera, Angela Shu, and Amirah Williams.

The Boba Boys received a score of 10 from each of the judges totaling 30, while ASB Gang Gang scored 27.