Paying for Halloween thrills and screams

By Stephanie Rubio

As Halloween approaches, many people look forward to the spooky theme parks and mazes. The most acclaimed horror theme parks are Six Flags Fright Fest, Knott’s Scary Farm and Universal’s Horror Nights.

Six Flags Fright Fest, has proven to be the place to be as zombies and ghouls take over the park at night. In order to spend the night, general admission tickets are $77. On select nights from Sept. 15 through Oct. 28 guests can scream their lungs out riding thrilling rides and running through mazes.

“The mazes had really good actors that give you a real good scare. My favorite maze was called the Sewer of Souls,” stated sophomore, Henry Huynh. “They gave us 3D glasses to wear inside and it made everything look better.”

Fright Fest provides various scare zones, such as “The Witches’ Lair” to “City Under Siege.” They also provide horror shows such as “High Sierra Hypnotist” and “Voodoo Nights.”

“I liked all the jumpscares that occur when youre just walking throughout the park tp get to rides,” said senior, Jaycob Wahinehookae. “I didn’t like that there were big gaps of nothing in between the long walks to rides because I assumed it would be scary all the time.”

Knott’s Scary Farm, brings thrills and scares near to Southern California for only $45 per ticket. As the park fully transforms itself tons of monsters roam Knott’s Scary Farm scaring anyone in sight. Numerous mazes fill the park including, “Paranormal Inc.,” “The Depths and Trick or Treat: Lights Out.”

Senior, Danielle Ruiz stated, “I felt that it was over hyped, and wasn’t as scary as they claimed it would be.”

The Conjurers and The Hanging are shows included in the Knott’s Scary Farm experience. Hundreds of creatures lurk around the park ready to scare anyone who comes their way.

“The price [for Knott’s Scary Farm] was great compared to the other parks. I got scared and was screaming 70 percent of the time. Also, the lines for the mazes were pretty short and the long lines went fast,” stated senior, Daeja Connor.

Kicking off in September and until Nov. 4, Horror Nights is now in full swing as their tickets range from $60 to $90. Screaming does not start until 7 p.m. and goes until 2 a.m.

Senior, MaryJane Nungaray stated, “I didn’t like was that there aren’t scary people walking around, only at the entrance.”

Universal Studios provides a thrilling experience, including mazes such as: “Stranger things,” “The First Purge,” and “The Horrors of Blumhouse.” Scattered across the park are scare zones like “Monster Masquerade” and “Hells Harvest.” In addition, they feature the famous “Jabbawockeez Show.”

Horror Nights is most known for their incorporation of acclaimed thrilling movies and TV shows into their park through mazes and frightening characters.

“For me the price was pretty worth. The mazes and scare zones never fail to excite me since their costume and makeup are on point,” said junior, Princess Peralta. “Universal follows really well with their themes so it’s definitely worth, especially compared to other Halloween themed amusement parks.”