Rebooting popular old shows with a new take

By Raymond Tran

Addendum Editor

Although rebooting or spinning off a tv show is not a new concept, many shows from the 90’s and 2000’s are beginning to take part in this trend. These shows have been either greeted with excited fandoms uniting or criticals comments saying they should have been left as it was.

Examples of these reboots and spinoffs include Netflix’s “Fuller House” and “Gilmore Girls: A Year in a Life”, The CW’s “Charmed”, and CBS’ “American Idol”. Netflix will also release “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” that will premiere today on Netflix.

One of the longest lasting chains of spinoffs is The CW’s “The Vampire Diaries” franchise. They released “The Originals” in 2013, and have announced another spinoff called “Legacies” that aired yesterday.

According to TVLine, a reboot of a show might have the same title and inherent premise of the original series, but ultimately has a new cast and its own interpretation of the show. Netflix’s “Queer Eye” and The CW’s “Dynasty” are examples of shows that kept the original premise of the show but were taken in a new direction by the producers. They were rebooted from the initial shows of Bravo’s “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” and ABC’s “Dynasty”.

A spinoff, on the other hand, revolves around some of the original cast but with a new setting and storyline. These shows revolve around some of the original characters in a new storyline, such as Disney Channel’s “Girl Meets World” and “Bunk’d”, having a connection to the original shows “Boy Meets World” and “Jessie”.

However, some of these shows were not as warmly accepted back as their networks would have hoped. In 2013, Cartoon Network launched “Teen Titans Go!”, based off of the cartoon “Teen Titans”. The original show aired for five seasons and garnered a huge superhero fan base over the course of the show. However, “Teen Titans Go!” did not do as well with critics and the public audience, airing for only one season and earning a score of 5.3/10 on IMDb.

Even though some shows did not receive as many positive reactions as their counterparts, many reboots and spinoffs have lived up to their predecessors. Disney Channel launched a spinoff of the show “That’s So Raven” in the summer of 2017 called “Raven’s Home”. It follows Raven Baxter, the main character, as she handles life as a single mother with physic powers.

This show received a lot of publicity due to the decade that had past in between the shows. As it moves onto its second season, it has received a 7.7/10 on IMDb.

Netflix will release “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” that will premiere today on Netflix which is a spinoff of the 1990’s sitcom “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”