Cross country runs past season finish line

Cross country crosses the season finish line

By Chloe Law

Next Tuesday, the Eagles will be competing against six other schools in the Mission Valley League (MVL) Finals at Legg Lake in South El Monte. This specific meet will be crucial for the runners given that the results will be worth double the amount of points compared to the other two league meets. Moreover, the teams will have to stay consistent with their performance to secure their spot to compete in CIF.

In the previous season, the varsity boys placed third in the league and the varsity girls placed fourth in the league.

Last Friday, the team raced at the 71st annual Mount San Antonio College Invitational. 12 boys and six girls were selected to race on the course’s steep hills. Sophomore Nicolas DiConti won his grade level race. Freshman Logan Tan and sophomore Leonardo Sevilla placed eighth and ninth  in their grade level races. Freshmen Kristin Song, Emma Shelton, and Sofia Chavez finished within the top 20, placing 2nd, 8th, and 18th, respectively.

“Everyone was telling me how hard the course was so I was kind of nervous,” stated sophomore Katie Sam. “It wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be, but I think it helped my mentality become stronger.”

The Eagles took on the Bell Gardens Invitational at Cerritos Regional Park on Oct. 13. Three boys and six girls were able to medal in their races.

On Oct. 6, the teams were welcomed to the Central Park Invite at Huntington Beach. A total of 14 runners on the team medaled in their races.

At their second MVL meet of the season on Oct. 2, the cross country team raced at Bonelli Park in San Dimas. Boys varsity was able to beat Rosemead this time around to place second out of six, while girls varsity placed third out of six.

The teams faced off against 24 other schools on an all dirt and sand course at the Billy York Invitational hosted at the Riverside Cross Country Course on Sept. 22. Varsity boys placed second out of ten. 11 boys and six girls medaled in their respective races.

On Sept. 11, the Eagles raced at their first MVL meet of the season at Legg Lake. Boys varsity placed third out of six and girls varsity placed third out of six.

The cross country team began their season with a powerful start at the annual Rosemead High School Invitational at Rosemead High School on Sept. 7. 23 runners were able to medal in their races.

“The team has done an incredible job this year,” stated Coach Ryan Kammerman. “I think we’re going to end the season on a high note.”