Twins with polar minds

By Giovanni Galvez

On July 2, 2002 at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, a set of twins, Colin Yee and Caitlin Yee, were brought into the world. Caitlin being the oldest, was born one minute before Colin. Being fraternal and of the opposite genders, the two grew up with different mindsets.  

“People don’t even think we are related,” stated Caitlin.

The Yee twins have always been known for going their separate ways and doing what they like to do, proving that they are not like typical twins.

Caitlin has always been seen as the determined and smart twin; having higher standards for what she does. She is on Gabrielino High School’s varsity swim team and participates in club sports. She is currently taking AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science, and AP Biology; and is looking to pursue a career in the S.T.E.M work field.  

“She likes to do a lot of activities, so she’s involved in practically everything,” exclaimed junior Emily Mejia.

Due to the belief that she is the favorite child, Caitlin has no worries about being in the shadows of her little brother.        

“People assume we do the same things and have the same interest, but we don’t,” claimed Caitlin.

The second piece of the set, Colin, has been known as a positive person. Opposite from his counterpart, sleep and soccer are on his top priority list; while school is just another factor of life for him. That is not to say that he isn’t taking a few AP classes as well; the difference is that he doesn’t know what career he wants to pursue in the future.

“Uhmm… Colin is Colin. [There isn’t anything] else is there to say,” stated junior Carlos Lopez.

Colin did mention that he is nicer to his mom and could possibly be his father’s favorite.

“I hate swimming, I feel like I’m going to drown [and do] you think she would listen to my music?” questioned Colin.

Setting their differences aside, there are not a lot of similarities between them. They are both known as caring people by many of their friends. When they were younger, they played the piano. However, they both chose to quit because they both despised it.  

They also claim to not mind being twins, but if given the chance, they would renounce their twinship. Plus, they both find it weird being close to each other.

“Let’s make it simple, Colin and Caitlin not being around each other is normal. But when you get them together like [for a interview], it’s weird,” stated senior Edgar Mercado.