GEMR performs at the railroad trench dedication ceremony

By Leslie Lim

On Sept. 10, Gabrielino Eagle Marching Regiment (GEMR) performed at Plaza Park in order to celebrate the completion of San Gabriel’s new railroad trench built by the Alameda Corridor East (ACE) Project.

The ACE project, founded in 1998 by the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments, has been working to stop vehicle delays and collisions from occurring due to freight rail traffic in the area. The new railroad trench is meant to do exactly that, “eliminating 1,744 hours of vehicle delays for over 90,000 motorists.”

GEMR was chosen by the ACE project to perform during the event, playing songs such as “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B. and “Chained to the Rhythm” by Katy Perry, while the guests filed into their seats. They also played the “Star Spangled Banner” during the event.

“It’s very important that the community thinks to include us,” said Melissa Romero, band director. “It [gives] the students a sense of pride when they get out there and represent the school.”

The band performed on the side of a large white tent hovering over the audience’s seats and the stage while the sun shone brightly onto their faces, and bugs swarmed onto their ears and body.

“When we perform for an audience, we just want to impress everyone because we’ve been working really hard in practice,” said Conductor Ted Chan, senior.

Later on, Chan was called to recite the “Pledge of Allegiance” and was thanked for representing Gabrielino well.

The dedication ceremony was important to prolific members of the community such as Juli Costanzo, Chair of the Capital Projects Committee, due to their intensive work in the project and the proposed benefits that are to be reaped from the railroad trench. The completion of the railroad trench was a “truly impressive project” said Costanzo.

GEMR goes to many community and school events such as the San Gabriel Fiesta and all the varsity football games.

“The stuff we do outside like the fiesta isn’t as recognized, but we do feel fairly represented,” said Drum Captain, Elijah Arimendiz-Urias, senior.

GEMR is scheduled to compete in a tournament at Canyon Springs High School on Oct. 6.