Nguyen drafts future as architect

By Thomas Chung

Opinion Editor

Imagine enrolling into a difficult yet interest-piquing summer engineering technology class with little knowledge about one’s own future. This is what Kacie Nguyen did. Once she overcame times of struggle in the class and realized that she was still avidly interested in the drafting aspect of the class, Nguyen decided that architecture was her true ambition.

Nguyen’s aspiration to become an architect falls in tandem with her involvement in many arts courses at Gabrielino High School. Despite only being taking in Introduction to Art last year, Nguyen is currently enrolled in Draw and Paint with teacher Emmett Suess and Advanced Placement Studio Art 2D with teacher Kat Ross.

“I take 2 art classes because it’s… a way to destress but in a way the art classes do help me to learn a few things that can be used for architecture.”” states Nguyen.

Depending on the project she is working on, Nguyen spends anywhere from one to seven hours at home completing her artwork. Nguyen explains that her art process starts with exploring or sitting around for inspiration. Once she finds this, she sketches out the components. Next, Nguyen gets her final canvas sheet and completes her piece on it.

“I can tell who’s going to come back based on who is doing more things than what’s expected,” Suess explains. “[Kacie] is not afraid to give extra…she already acts like a professional in high school.”

Often using pens in her work, Nguyen loves the way that ink looks. While she states that she is in the process of developing her own unique style, Nguyen is particularly fond of tattoo designs and says that ink is the best way to achieve this. In addition to drafting through pens and ink, Nguyen is also able to develop her uncanny skill of drawing rose tattoos on her friends.

“My goal would be architecture as [my] main career and tattoo artist [would be my] side job… I like drawing on people.”

Continually inspired by her uncle and tutor who were both architects, Nguyen’s future is bright. Her passion for visual arts can be observed by the dedication and time that she puts into her all of her artwork. As the academic year progresses, she plans to get more involved and hone her skills so that she can eventually reach her top school, the University of California, Santa Barbara.