DiConti sprints into cross country season

By Chloe Law

Running forward Sophomore Nicolas DiConti practices diligently everyday to improve his skills

While many students rush home after school to find themselves in the comforts of their beds for a long nap, sophomore Nicolas DiConti spends his time after school spraying on sunscreen and preparing for another 6 mile run.

DiConti has been a member of Gabrielino High School’s cross country team since his freshman year. Though cross country runs in the family with his older brother a former runner and his father  a cross country coach, DiConti joined the sport to put his love for running into action.

In his previous season, DiConti proved to be one of the top runners on the team with times both making and breaking records. As a freshman, DiConti was able to claim one of the seven varsity positions on the team and was the only freshman to do so in the 2017 season.

Currently, DiConti holds many records for the school including times on the All-Time List, a record of the top runners in all of Gabrielino history.

“Nic always sets high goals and looks to improve race after race,” commented teammate Yuta Horii, senior. “He has a genuine drive to do his very best.”

On weekends, he trains vigorously, taking on additional mileage to the training plan already assigned by the cross country coaches. DiConti runs six miles to 11 miles on his own.

“Nic is very dedicated and consistent with his training,” stated Coach Ryan Kammerman. “Whether it is a recovery run, long run, or workout, he is ready to go and do what it takes day by day.”

Early this month, DiConti walked home from the 34th annual Rosemead Invitational with blue trophy in hand and a medal around his neck decorated with the words “First Place”. Running a 3 mile race, DiConti finished with a time of 15:43:00, shedding off three minutes from his time of 18:04:08 in the year prior. His performance allowed him to rank second in the team’s all-time records for this particular meet.

Along with his contributions to the team’s all-time charts, DiConti has also set many personal goals for himself.

“I really want to stay in the fifteen [minute range],” DiConti stated. “I’m working towards [being in the top 14 runners in the league].”

DiConti plans to be on the cross country team for the duration of his high school career and hopes to improve his running skills with each season.