Developing strong team dynamics

By Daeja lee Conner

All Smiles Football shows off their close relationship through team bonding dinners in the small gym. After difficult practices throughout season, the boys are always all smiles when they are together.

“Even though we didn’t grow up together, I consider my teammates my brothers on and off the field,” stated Donovan Sanin, junior.

Being on a sports team builds unbreakable bonds between teammates that create a new family for them here on campus.

Captains Steven Gomez, Jahrique Lowe, Chris Rodriguez, and Sanin of the Gabrielino High School varsity football team are constantly finding ways to build the relationship between their teammates. In order to be successful while playing a game, the team must work as a unit to pull out a win.

One way that the football team keeps their bond strong is by having their annual talent show. Teammates laugh and enjoy spending time with each other outside of practice by cracking jokes and teasing one another during this little ritual. Aside from that, the team also puts together team dinners on days that they have home games in order to build confidence.

The varsity girl volleyball team also participates in this team bonding experience with their tradition of home game lunch-ins. On the days that the girls have a home game, they gather at lunch to spend quality time with one another before the game. Though it’s just for the short 40 minutes of lunch this benefits the team greatly when it comes to playing together as a team.

“Most of the time we just eat, talk about what the game might bring, or braid each others hair. It’s just time for us to ease our nerves or stress about the upcoming game and get a chance to spend some time with the team outside of practice,” senior Joy Hano stated.

Girls golf bonds over hair bows and goodie bags. Each year the captain of the girls golf team makes each team member personalized bows and hands them out at the first league golf match. The girls also participate in secret sisters each week and some leave a note of encouragement for their team member. Though these secret sisters may be anonymous until the end of season, they build a of new level of trust within the team.

Not only do the team members have a bonding tradition but Coach Steve Swanson also bonds with the girls. He rewards girls that do well with a game ball, and girls that get below the score of 40 with a golf t-shirt.

Cross Country does not have on-campus bonding activities but are always supporting one another throughout races. They also have a small pre-game chant for luck.

Sophomore Katie Sam stated, “I think it’s during the races where everyone is hyping up and cheering on our teammates that makes us feel closer because even though some of us aren’t close with each other we all get excited for the person running, and after the races we are all proud of one another.”