Father Daughter Dance creates bonds

By Lana Hy

On April 14, Gabrielino High School’s Athletic Booster Club hosted its inaugural Father Daughter Dance from 7-10 p.m. to help fundraise for all Gabrielino athletic programs.

Lisa Gutierrez-Correa, Athletic Booster Club organizer, chose a father-daughter dance theme, since she felt that most high school girls spend more time with their moms than dads. Therefore, she wanted to give an opportunity for fathers and daughters to bond, while simultaneously raising money.

“[I came to the dance because] I love my daughters and thought it would be a great way to spend the evening together,” stated David Pitts, choir teacher.

Activities were held to see how much fathers knew about their daughters, and allowed them to learn more about each other.

One activity consisted of girls answering questions about their interests, such as their favorite color or food, on a piece of paper. Afterwards, one of the organization members would read out loud one of the girl’s favorite things without revealing their name.

A pair of gold slippers were given as a prize to each daughter if their father figure stood when their favorite thing was mentioned.

“Getting to see how well your dad know you was fun,” said Hannah Pitts, freshman. “[The moms in charge of the dance made sure] that every father and daughter were interacting with each other.”

Each father-daughter pair also had to come up with dance moves together, forming a soul train for a disco song called “Stayin’ Alive” by the BeeGees.

“I have never seen my [father] dance before,” revealed Emily Scannell, freshman. “I thought it was a nice way to get closer with my dad.”

Girls gathered in one line, while dads were arranged in another facing their daughter. Once it was a couple’s turn, they would perform their dance in the middle of the two lines until reaching the end of it.

“It was funny seeing how embarrassed [some] girls were when dancing with their dads,” shared Elisa Pitts, junior.

DiPilla’s salad, bread, and bowtie pasta were served for dinner.

Beverages included water, lemonade, and instant coffee. As for dessert, attendees savored an assortment of candies, cakes, and cookies.

Tickets were sold for $40 per couple, and $17 for every extra daughter before the day of the dance. At the door tickets for each pair costed $50.

“Dancing with my dad like there was no tomorrow was hands-down the best moment of the night,” expressed Avery Castrellon, junior. “I was able to make another [memorable experience] with my dad that I [can] cherish [forever].”