‘A Quiet Place’ deserves recognition

By Jasmine Lam

5 stars

Considered one of the first films of its kind with only three minutes of verbal dialogue, ‘A Quiet Place’ manages to deliver a performance never seen before.

With the use of sign language as the main form of communication between the characters, the actors were able to silently portray their feelings without words for a long rollercoaster ride of emotions for viewers to feel.  

The horror movie takes place in Upstate New York, where the city has now delved into a world of deafening silence with seemingly no one in the city except the Abbott family, who adapt to the new ways of living.

Now, the family of five live in silence for the sole purpose that if they were to make a sound, the blind creatures that lurk in the shadows would be able to find them with their acute hearing. And though the family understands the weight of their actions, accidents are inevitable.

This leads to jump scares throughout the movie that constantly had me jumping, maybe more than what was actually intended in the scripts, which made the movie interesting and captured my utmost attention.

Though many moments in the movie were filled with silence, the sound effects made the film even more special as the writers and directors placed the sounds in strategic points in the movie.

However, what I admired most about the movie is the protectiveness that the family has for one another and the fact that both parents are admandant that the children are fully aware of the gravity of the situation.

It is also commendable that the actors were able to act so well without having to saying anything to. There were many compelling scenes between the family that showed their love for one another and if anything, the use of sign language amplified their love.

This movie should be seen by everyone, as actors Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe, John Krasinski, Millicent Simmonds, and Cade Woodward delivered a stunning performance.

Additionally, it is worth noting that Simmonds is deaf and though the writers and director could have cast any other actress to play her role, I cannot imagine any other actress give an astounding performance as she did with the portrayal of her character, who is also deaf in the film.

“A Quiet Place” came out on April 6, and should be seen by everyone as there is no other horror film that I have watched that is able to relay actions and emotions as well as this movie.