Ones to Watch

By Christine Tran

Boys Golf:

Senior Ryan Cheng has been a dedicated athlete since his freshman year, earning him the title of team captain for his final year at GHS. His extensive experience with golf is the reason why many of his fellow teammates turn to him for advice and leadership.

“[Cheng] is the type of student who leads by example, and he is a big part of the reason why [the team] is currently undefeated in league,” stated Steve Swanson, boys golf coach.

Cheng’s goals for the remainder of season is to continue to remain undefeated in league. His determination and skills is what makes him a top contender for the league individual MVP title.

“I feel like [our team] has been doing well and I hope that [our team] excels at CIF pre-lims and become league champs as well,”said Cheng.

Softball:

On the Gabrielino softball team, there is one girl who exudes leadership and respect despite being still being an underclassmen. Sophomore Daniella Murillo is the starting first baseman and number four hitter, making her an essential part of the team as well as one of the most powerful hitters. She shines a positive light on the team during times of struggle and exhibits true leadership qualities when supporting her teammates.

“[Murillo] is a natural leader [her teammates] accept her because they know she has a lot of skill and knowledge along with a strong work ethic,” said girls softball coach, Andrea King.

Murillo wishes to remain a powerhouse hitter for the team and learn to better adjust to the different styles of pitches she can face during games.

“I think that I’ve improved a lot from last year, and I hope that this year our team can make it to CIF,” said Murillo.

Swim Varsity Girls – Valery Chan

Always in the pool, Sophomore Valery Chan has proven to be a key factor in the success of the Gabrielino swim team. Chan is a reliable swimmer who has had consistent times throughout this season, even going on to create new personal records.

Chen is known around the team for her positive attitude. She never complains and always puts forth her best effort with a smile.

“I hope she continues to grow athletically, but more importantly, I hope she continues to grow personally.  She’s relatively shy and doesn’t realize that her positivity and selflessness rubs off on her teammates,” stated head swim coach Amber Tan.

For the rest of the season, Chan hopes to further her performance as a leader and a swimmer, lower her times and help win the league title.

“I made a goal of increasing my tempo so I could get under 30 seconds for 50 free and it really has pushed me to improve,” said Chan.
    Swim Varsity Boys – Diego Hitomi

Senior Diego Hitomi has been a constant and consistent presence on the swim team for the past four years.

For his final year on the swim team, Hitomi is a part of 2 relays, 200 Freestyle and 400 Freestyle, that both automatically qualified for CIF. These results have come from Hitomi constantly pushing himself as well as his teammates to be better both in and out of the water.

He never stops working to improve, and his work ethic influences other to follow in his footsteps.

“Hitomi is very quiet but leads by example. I hope that he continues to surprise himself as his high school career comes to an end,” said Amber Tan, head swim coach.

While his final league season is coming to an end, Hitomi is hoping to extend his time by qualifying for CIF state.

“So far all my improvement has happened in the past two or three weeks and hopefully I can continue to improve.,” stated Hitomi.