Track and field runs towards future wins

By Chloe Law

On April 12, the Gabrielino High School varsity track and field team will compete in a home meet against Mountain View High School. Last season, the team won the conference game against MVHS.

Yesterday, the Eagles participated in a meet against Marshall High School for the fourth Mission Valley League meet of the season. Scores were not available during press time.

On Monday, both varsity teams also competed against El Monte High School at GHS. The meet was originally hosted on March 22, but was abruptly postponed to the next week due to the change in weather forecasts.

“Having two meets in one week is difficult because there’s not a lot of recovery time, but [the team] knew that we could handle it if we put in the work,” stated sprinter Joy Hano, junior.

The teams proved their potential by performing at their best in each event and scoring the necessary amount of points to obtain a win. Both the boys and girls won the meet, 102-29 and 96-34.

On March 15, the boys and girls varsity teams swept the meet against South El Monte High School, 117-27 and 99-27, respectively.

Around 80 individuals were entered to compete in the Rosemead Invitational on March 10, which was held at Rosemead High School. The invitational recognized medalists in high jumps with junior Julian Thai and senior Caleb Lee placing first and second place, respectively. Medalists in the triple jump included Bethany Lee, fourth place, and Ana Jurado, fifth place.

In the first league meet of the season on March 7, the boys and girls team lost to RHS, 79-57 and 74-60, respectively.

“We already knew that Rosemead would be one of our toughest competitors,” stated junior Crystal Lok, “so competing against them for our first meet was a challenge.”

Though the team’s first meet of the season turned out to be a tough run, the teams still managed to show exceptional results individually in each event.

Junior Brianna Lee threw a 32’6 in shot put, which not only beat her personal record of 26’6.5, but also beat Gabrielino’s previous school record of 32’2.5 set by alumnus Bianca Addison. Senior Kevin Yuen also claimed the first place slot in pole vault with a height of 13’.

Gabrielino’s track and field team still holds high hopes of finishing the season strong. Coach Ryan Kammerman remains confident in the team’s abilities to do well.