Choir sings throughout March

By Marleld Duran

All levels of choir performed at yesterday’s Open House. They also participated in an invitational, convention, and showcase throughout this month.

Yesterday’s performance was compiled of songs students have learned throughout the year.

Chamber, Concert, and Women’s Choir participated in the Azusa Pacific University (APU) High School Choir Invitational last Thursday. Although it was not a competition, students performed to the other ten school choirs that attended the event.

“Everybody was impressed by [Gabrielino’s choir] sound,” said Choir Director David Pitts. “We got a lot of positive comments from other choir directors and the music staff at APU.”

On March 15-17, Concert Choir performed in Pasadena for the western division of the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA), a convention for choir directors in the region. Students worked with Elizabeth Schauer, clinician and Associate Director of Choral Activities at the University of Arizona.

Schauer taught the choir three new songs, which were performed on the final day under the directions of Pitts.

Although Concert Choir was not one of the featured choirs, ACDA wanted a new high school choir to attend an interest session where they would learn new techniques that varied from breathing to vocals.