Boys volleyball struggles to recover from rough sets in early season

By Annie Phun

Sports Editor

On April 10, the varsity boys volleyball team will take on La Canada High School when they travel to La Canada Flintridge for their fifth Rio Hondo League game. Last season, the Eagles lost both conference games against the Spartans, 3-2 and 3-1.

Yesterday, the team squared off against South Pasadena High School. Scores were not available during press time.

GHS (obtained/suffered) a (win/loss) against Maranatha High School on March 27, (score).

March 22 proved to be a challenge for the Eagles as they faced off against the San Marino Titans.

In previous years, the boys had no problem triumphing over SMHS due to the opposing team’s lack of experienced players. However, this year, the Titans brought about a difficult challenge as their plays centered around a quick offense and a strong defense.

“We had difficulty keeping up with their hitters, and they had a really strong librero,” stated senior Reisandy Lamdjani. “It didn’t help that our set receive wasn’t doing so well either.”

GHS fought tirelessly in the beginning, securing the first set, 25-23, but failed to maintain the same level of energy throughout the rest of the game. As the team’s defense crumbled, SMHS picked up their offense. The game ended with a crushing defeat to the Eagles, marking it as their second consecutive loss since the start of League.

“[Gabrielino’s] back row played solid defense. It really frustrated my players,” stated San Marino High School´s head coach, Tony Chou. “[San Marino] may have won this time, but we still have a lot to look out for when our teams meet up again for the second round.”

In the first conference match of the season against Temple City High School, the Eagles were dealt a harsh defeat as they lost, 3-0.

The last game of the team’s preseason ended with unfortunate results as the boys lost their match against Village Christian High School on March 15, 3-1.

“With every game, we just need to keep our heads up,” senior David Taing. “All we can do is practice and recover. Our hard work will get us wins.”

La Salle High School proved to be a worthy opponent for the team when they won the game on March 13, 3-1.

GHS had their work cut out for them when they went up against St. Genevieve High School on March 12, barely clinching the win, 3-2.

The Eagles suffered a loss in the non-conference match against La Canada High School on March 8, losing 3-0.

In a game against Alhambra High School on March 7, the Eagles faced a loss against the Moors, 1-3.

The game against Salesian High School on March 6 had GHS walking away with a win when the boys won, 3-2.

On March 5, the team went up against Don Bosco Technical Institute and won, 3-1

This season, the team is lead by returning head coach Nolan Tcheng and captains Noah Kim and David Taing. They hope that their leadership will lead the team to beating last season’s record of 7-5.