Descanso Gardens, peaceful getaway

By Megan Tran

Four stars

Descanso Gardens unveils natural beauty that is rarely seen in Southern California. Luscious greenery and fields of vividly colored flowers fill the gardens creates a peaceful escape. It has evolved to becoming a museum of living collections and makes protecting its wildlife its number one priority.

Every month, Descanso Gardens blooms a variety of plant life and in March they featured hundreds of tulips, picturesque camellias, and stunning cherry blossom trees. As I walked around the grounds, there was not a sight where it did not feel like a tranquil utopia full of nurturing nature.

Along with the numerous plant life, visitors are greeted by smiling employees that encourage people to explore and learn about the numerous kinds of wildlife. They offer Spring Bloom Walks all throughout March and April where visitors can experience firsthand about the seasonal favorites with no registration or fee required.

This environment is family friendly with an Enchanted Railroad that immerses people into the Descanso Gardens in a different perspective, considering it is one eighth the size of a real train. It costs an extra three dollars to take this mini magical train ride across a section of the gardens.

Though it was crowded in certain areas, hiking to more of the remote areas of the garden allowed for the perfect nature experience. Since Descanso Gardens is a very popular attraction, the line to buy tickets and food were long and finding parking was very hectic.

In addition, the culminating scenery creates countless picture perfect memories that will last a lifetime. So in order to keep the gardens pristeine, visitors are required to eat just outside the garden in the picnic area or at Café Descanso located at their outdoor patio. The menu includes items such as sandwiches and salads full of fresh and seasonal ingredients, that are $10.50 each. Besides the food, Descanso Gardens has a small gift shop where nature lovers can buy plants and raise them just like the ones that grow there.

After spending countless hours at Descanso Gardens, the vibrant tulips in every color of the rainbow caught my attention. It was the first thing that I saw when entering through the gates and made my first impression of the gardens memorable.  

The gardens have clearly marked paths that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. With 150 acres, the Descanso Gardens is open to all everyday from 9am to 5pm. Tickets for the general public is nine dollars, seniors and students with ID is six dollars and children (five-12 years) is four dollars. Nevertheless, becoming a Descansos member gives the ability to go to the gardens for free.

Descanso Gardens, located in La Cañada Flintridge, is about a 25 minute drive from Gabrielino High School, but the drive is worth it. Exploring Descanso Gardens creates an appreciation for the outdoors and is a great getaway from the city life that can be shared with friends, family or even with a date.