Pizza Hut returns with ‘Pie Tops II’

By Stephanie Foo

Student Life Editor

As the official pizza of the NCAA March Madness, Pizza Hut has announced the arrival of “Pie Tops II”, limited edition sneakers that not only order pizza with the push of a button, but also pause the television.

In March of last year, Pizza Hut partnered with retired National Basketball Association (NBA) player Grant Hill to create the first “Pie Tops” sneakers. They were designed by Dominic Chambrone, or the Shoe Surgeon.

Created by the same designer, the “Pie Tops II” are high tops adorned with red detailing, cheese grater mesh, branded inner soles, and the Pizza Hut logo on the tongue. Their main feature is its ability to order pizza by pressing the Pizza Hut logo on the tongue. By connecting the shoe to the Pizza Hut app on one’s phone via Bluetooth and setting up a default order, the user can have pizza delivered right to their doorsteps.

Different from last year’s model, the “Pie Tops II” have an added feature. It can now pause live television. Along with ordering pizza, these sneakers sync with DVR receivers to control what one is watching. They are compatible with Spectrum, DirecTV, Xfinity, Dish and Fios cable.

“This year, the ‘Pie Tops II’ were created to showcase our focus on giving customers the best delivery experience while making sure that tournament fans can feed their pizza craving without missing a moment of the action,” Zipporah Allen, chief marketing officer of Pizza Hut, revealed in a statement.

Known for simplifying their customers’ experience, Pizza Hut has launched various programs, such as Hut Rewards, a loyalty program that awards customers for how much they spend on their order each time and voice command ordering, the first pizza tracker.

As a limited edition offer, about fifty pairs of these Pizza Hut shoes, which come in red and tan, were made available for purchase on March 21 on Hypebeast, a digital media and e-commerce site for sneakers, for $150.