Eagles grapple their way to victory

By Christine Tran

While the regular wrestling season ended in early February, four girls and six boys were able to extend their season by qualifying for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) championships.

The girls competed first on Feb. 9 at Roosevelt High School. Seniors Alexis Medina and Jezabel Diaz, junior Cassidy Do, and sophomore Breanna Murray qualified for the first round at the final wrestling league meet, going on to represent Gabrielino at CIF. The four of them wrestled in a gym from 10am to 8pm, for the chance to win a CIF champion title.       

“I definitely didn’t do as well as I could have, but I’m glad I could also help the rest of the girls go as far as they could,” commented Medina.

In the end, only Diaz and Do were able to continue onto the second day of the tournament. Out of a total of 155 schools, Diaz placed 5th while Do placed 3rd overall. Diaz and Do also qualified for the masters’ meet, which will decide whether or not they will continue to compete at the state tournament.

“Even though I’m happy with my performance, I’m always looking to improve. I’m aiming for first or second place next year so I can earn a banner for the school,” stated Do.

The competition continued on Feb. 17 where it was the boys’ turn to take the stage. Juniors Mark Diaz, Teddy Hanna, and Bryan Tang, sophomores Christopher Rodriguez and Donovan Sanin, and freshman Tony Attallah spent eight hours at Westminster High School competing for the chance to bring home a wrestling CIF title. Faced against schools from across all areas of the San Gabriel Valley, the preliminary rounds on Friday proved to be a challenge.

“CIF was pretty tough, but my goal going into it was just doing the best I can. Next year, I plan on placing and going on to masters,” said Tang.

Out of the six male wrestlers who competed on Feb. 17, Attallah and Sanin were able to qualify for the second day.  Attallah did not place but Sanin was in the running for fifth place after winning two rounds and suffering one loss against Hillcrest High School. With a one point win against Shadow Hills High School, Sanin secured fifth place and qualified to continue on at the masters’ meet.

“I felt like I did pretty well, and it was exciting to go against some good competitors. Next year I want to improve from where I end this year,” stated Sanin.

Overall Gabrielino’s wrestling team ended the 2017-18 season on a high note. The eagles placed second in the Mission Valley league, only losing to Arroyo High School.

“This season was a good opportunity to grow, and next year we’re looking to win the league title,” said Ivan Carvajal, assistant varsity coach.