Federal government should legalize marijuana use

By Jasmine Lam

The use of recreational marijuana has finally been legalized on Jan. 1 in California. However, the use of the cannabis is still considered illegal under federal law yet, there are varying laws from state to state on the use of marijuana. Instead of having different laws under each state, the use of recreational marijuana should be legalized nationally.

Under Proposition 64 in California adults over the age of 21 can now use, possess, share, and grow cannabis at home. Marijuana can only be legally smoked at businesses with a license for marijuana consumption or in a private home.

Currently, there are eight states that have legalized the use of marijuana. In a report released by the Nevada Department of Taxation, Nevada licensed dispensaries has made around $27.7 million in recreational marijuana use in September 2017 and produced around $12.5 million in taxes within the first three months of sales.

If the use of recreational use of marijuana is legalized in the United States, the government would be able to generate more tax revenue and in turn, improve programs such as healthcare or education.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 6.5 million citizens are unemployed in the United States. The legalization of recreational marijuana could lead to more job openings for Americans.

In addition, Californians will not be able to consume marijuana in public places such as parks or on the streets. Marijuana can be banned by property owners and landlords as well, so its effects will not influence an innocent bystander.

The American Civil Liberties Union released data that stated for a decade, the New York Police Department (NYPD) spent an estimated total of one million hours enforcing low level marijuana charges from 2002 to 2012.

More importantly, the staggering hours spent on arresting citizens for the use of marijuana for personal use should go towards more drastic crimes such as assault or abuse.

It is important to realize that marijuana will still be used illegally, therefore it would be smarter and safer for the government to regulate it by making sure consumers know about the marijuana they use.

Recreational marijuana should rightfully be legalized, not only will the legalization of recreational marijuana help garner tax revenue for all states, it will also help the government keep a watchful eye of the consumers.