365 days of Trump

By Michael Hong

President Donald Trump made a multitude of promises for his first one hundred days in office, including fulfilling campaign promises like building the border wall and eliminating the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Although he has not yet reached every goal he has set for himself, it’s important to evaluate what he’s done so far.

In the political world, most point to the administration’s decisions in international agreements, like the withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accords, a global effort to curb carbon emissions and slow global warming, and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade deal involving multiple nations along the Pacific Coast including Japan and the Philippines. According to Project Syndicate, Trump also began renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement to fix its political shortcomings, following his campaign promise to “Put America First.”

Additionally, his effort to “Make America Great Again” economically led to the passage of a new tax reform bill, which slashed both corporate and individual tax rates while reforming the system for tax deductions. Despite the Congressional Budget Office’s projection that the tax bill would increase the United States’s deficit by nearly $1.5 trillion, the bill resembles that of the Reaganomics era, which spurred a unparalleled period of economic prosperity.

Undoubtedly, some of the administration’s highlights comes in the judicial and social worlds. For one, his nomination of conservative-leaning Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court and multiple conservative judges to lesser district courts “can solidify a long legacy of conservative jurisprudence,” according to the Washington Post.

Moreover, despite the many concerns about his war on the media and its focus on his inflammatory comments on race, The Atlantic highlights that in August 2017, illegal immigration dropped nearly 20 percent relative to the same time in 2016. Though it is not a real wall, Trump’s rhetoric has seemingly done the job of one, fulfilling yet another campaign promise.

As much of the spotlight has been on the Trump administration’s supposed dealings with the Russian government, it has overshadowed his accomplishments in domestic policy in 2017.

“One hundred days ago, I took the oath of office and made a pledge: We are not merely going to transfer political power from one party to another, but instead are going to transfer that power from Washington, D.C., and give it back to the people. In the past 100 days, I have kept that promise — and more.”