Girls soccer get the ball rolling for League

By Stephanie Foo

Student Life Editor

Today, at 3:15 p.m., the Gabrielino High School (GHS) varsity girls soccer team will kick off another conference game against Arroyo High School (AHS). With only three more conference games left in the season, they are vying for yet another league champion title.

On top of Mission Valley League Championships, the girls hope to obtain a second CIF title for GHS.

“We are still aiming for CIF,” explained Isabella Santos, freshman. “We want to do what we did in 2014.”

The Lady Eagles kicked off against Marshall High School (MHS) on Monday. Scores were not available at press time.

On Jan. 25 against Rosemead High School (RHS), the team won, 1-0.

Continuing their winning streak, the varsity team clinched a win against Mountain View High School, 3-0, on Jan. 18. The Eagles played an eventful game on the field as the girls leaned on each other for support. With Coach Moran’s offensive plays and strategic coaching, the team ended the first half of the season strong.

Following their 1-0 win against South El Monte High School on Jan. 12, the Eagles won their first away conference game of the season against El Monte High School, 2-1, on Jan 16.

Lead by co-captains, Ciannah Correa and Alina Zarate, the team prides itself on moral support and constant dedication to one another. For Zarate, her four years on the team were ones of immense pride.

“I’ve always been very excited and proud to be a part of this team,” confessed Zarate. “When I was in eighth grade, I would always watch the girls play. I knew who I wanted to play with.”

Their teamwork and chemistry among one another continues to define this team.

“We know everyone else’s flow and get into a rhythm. We work to help each other out,” relayed Santos.

Unfortunately, the Eagles suffered a loss, 1-2, against AHS on Jan. 10.

While the girls began their season with a win against RHS, 5-0, they tied against MHS, 0- 8

Despite losing over half of their senior players coming into this season, the girls work to stay positive and produce a great season. Many of their players are inexperienced, but it is only another reason for the varsity team to practice longer and work harder.