Simple guide to healthy relationships

By Elizabeth Campos

The new year means many different things for different people. For some the start of a clean slate, for others the beginning of a new diet, picking up a new hobby or swearing against procrastination or other’s. But what if the relationship with old friends in this new year aren’t as healthy as the rest of these resolutions. Here’s a short list on how to strengthen those relationships.

Tips for a healthy relationships:

1.    Communication

Communication is key! A good line of communication can help to create a positive foundation for the relationships. Whether it means supporting your friends new decision to try going vegan or their choice to start eating meat again, a willingness to communicate without withholding one’s feelings to ensures the reduction of confusion and hurt when facing conflict. Being able to listen is just as important as well. Accepting each others words and giving each other undivided attention is crucial to understanding the other problem’s.

1.     Trust

Trust is important in any relationship. Not being able to trust your friend, sibling or a significant other is a feeling no one should have to endure. Having trust allows you to be able to be open and vulnerable which helps strengthen the relationship. Without trust the occurrence of arguments between both people are bound to happen. Through actions, gain and perceive trust, not just through words.

1.    Respect

Respecting each others choices, time, values, and space are essential. Once respect is lost, so is the relationship. Maintaining an equal level of  respect means, listening to each other without judgment and being genuinely emotionally invested with their opinions. Addressing problems and discussing boundaries is a serious part of the relationship. Having respect for yourself is important to the relationship as well. Understanding that there is a lack of respect is a red flag that the relationship may be a toxic one.