Places to go for the Holiday

By Michael Hong

Poll Specialist

Contrary to popular belief, the two weeks of winter break allow for more than just binge-watching multiple Netflix shows in a row. Fortunately, there are various must-see destinations in the Los Angeles area that embody the winter spirit.

Descanso Gardens

The Gardens in La Cañada feature ten interactive light-up displays that spread across the garden, both soothing the eye, while piquing one’s interest. For $25, step into Descansos’ illuminated forest and discover that it lives up to its name—leaving visitors feeling enchanted.

LA Zoo Lights

The Los Angeles Zoo puts an unfamiliar twist on a familiar trend, covering a third of the zoo grounds with lights galore. With everything from tunnels, a disco ball-filled forest, and even the desert flora twinkling and shining, it is the closest thing to walking in a winter wonderland.

Infinity Mirrors

While artist Yayoi Kusama’s personal works will be on display at the Broad Museum in Downtown Los Angeles, all eyes are going to be on his six “Infinity Mirrored Rooms” this holiday season. With hundreds of mirrors lining each individual room, the infinity mirrors reflect both light and Kusama’s creativity.

LA Live Skating Rink

With its own set of light shows and a tree that is larger than life, the scene outside LA Live might seem just like any other place. For $20, visitors have the chance to make their winter wonderland dreams come true and skate on the outdoor rink, while enjoying being at the heart of beautiful downtown Los Angeles.

Rose Parade

Nothing beats ringing in the new year with some celebration and competition. The annual Rose Parade features flowers, music, and hand-crafted floats, all on display for the public. It is  followed by the highly-anticipated Rose Bowl, which pits Heisman favorite Baker Mayfield against Butkus winner Roquan Smith.

Home

With so many places to go over break, it is easy to forget that the home is the best place to be at. Whether it is gobbling down a delicious Christmas meal, singing carols, or huddled up in a fuzzy blanket eagerly counting down the final moments of 2017, be sure to spend some quality time with loved ones this holiday.