San Gabriel hosts 42nd Turkey Trot

By Chloe Law

On Nov. 18, the city of San Gabriel hosted its 42nd annual Turkey Trot at Vincent Lugo Park. The event was established to provide support for the resident youth in the San Gabriel community by directing the generated profits towards improving and developing youth programs such as After School Recreation and the Jefferson After School Sports Program.    

The Turkey Trot catered towards families and people of all ages. The event itself consisted of four options for adults and youth: a 10k run, a 5k run, a 5k walk, and a 1k run specifically for youth.

Participants in the different events made their way through the city, navigating through several of the streets that make up the city such as Chestnut Avenue and even visiting San Gabriel’s William McKinley Elementary School.

Although all runners and walkers received finisher medals, the top three finishers in each category were given personalized medals and the first place finisher received a gift card for a turkey.

“We call it the city’s healthiest family event,” commented event director James Lara. “You’re able to have fun and stay active all at once.”

Participants were required to register through an online form on the San Gabriel City website. The prices for registration ranged from $20 to $30 depending on the events that an individual signed up for.

Amongst the people present, Gabrielino students in service clubs such as Interact and Key Club were also in attendance as they helped organize and manage the event.

Volunteers from both clubs were positioned at certain checkpoints of the courses to facilitate the run and walk by gesturing towards the direction of the course with arrows and signs. Other volunteers were also asked to cheer on the runners and walkers at the beginning and the end of the race.

“The event was fairly well organized,” stated senior Vincent Chang, a member of Interact. “Seeing the parents, kids, and serious athletes get active was a warming experience for me in the chilly morning.”