Staff Editorial: State punishments for sexual assault must be strengthened

In California, a sexual assault conviction on the felony level carries the possible sentence of up to four years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine, while a misdemeanor requires the perpetrator to register as a sex offender for a minimum of ten years. However, people with high profiles in society are able to escape charges by using their status and affluence. In order to ensure that victims obtain the justice they rightfully deserve, California state laws need to be revised to prevent those with influence and wealth from abusing the legal system.

According to The Atlantic, only seven out of 1,000 cases lead to felony convictions. Early in October, American film producer Harvey Weinstein was accused of committing sexual assault against several actors and employees, including Ashley Judd and Molly Ringwald, over the course of decades. In response to this, the Weinstein Company fired him, but no legal punishment was given because Weinstein had been able to reach settlements with many of the women who stepped forward to share their stories. However, Weinstein’s case is not the first of its kind. According to the Huffington Post, 99 percent of offenders walk free. In September of 2016, Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner was given an early release from jail after serving only three months for raping an unconscious woman.

During Turner’s trial, Deputy District Attorney Alaleh Kianerci asked for a six year sentence, but Judge Aaron Persky  stated that a long prison sentence would have too severe an impact on the Stanford student and gave him just a six month term. An alumni of Stanford University himself, Persky was criticized for being too lenient on Turner because of his athletic status, which allowed Turner to swim for the U.S. National Team in the 2016 Olympics.The victims of Weinstein and Turner have been silenced, while the perpetrators have thus far escaped meaningful prosecution.

This further contributes to an endless cycle in which wealthy offenders are able to escape or pay off their punishment. According to the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network, the largest sexual assault organization in the United States, one in five women, and one in five men, are victims of rape. This is a national problem but the solution starts with the states. A clause should be added by the California legislature prohibiting the wealthy from paying their way out of legal action and punishment. By increasing the punishment on sexual assault, crime rates will go down, as offenders realize that they have more to lose. This will help victims retain reasonable compensation for the crimes committed against them as they still have to live with the lasting effects. The rich and famous may possess more leniency in the justice system, but we the people are the ones giving it to them. The government is a body of people who are elected to protect our rights, and it is our duty to hold them accountable for that.