Rams begin season with new coach, mindset

By Kaylan Kha

Editor in Chief

Although they had a rough patch last season, the Los Angeles Rams are on the path to redemption this year. With Sean McVay as the new head coach, the Rams began this season with the best start they have had since 2003.

At the age of 30, McVay is the youngest head coach in NFL history. His age might appear to put the Rams at a disadvantage, but under McVay’s coaching, the Rams have been able to change their mindset and improve their game.

“I think what good coaches do is they put their players in situations to have success, but ultimately those players are the ones that are making those plays,” McVay told the Los Angeles Times. “[I] feel fortunate to be a part of that.”

Quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley have been leading the Rams’ successes with accomplishments of their own.

In the game against the San Francisco 49ers, the Rams won, 41-39. Goff “went 22-of-28 for 292 yards, 3 touchdowns and zero turnovers, posting a 145.8 passer rating that was [one of the] highests of his career.

Meanwhile, Gurley has also bounced back, performing better than he did as a rookie in 2015. His running and passing have been more efficient, allowing him to make ten touchdowns this season alone.

The Rams have remained at the top of the National Football Conference West, only suffering losses to the Seattle Seahawks on Oct. 8 and the Washington Redskins on Sept. 17.

The game against the New York Giants on Nov. 5 proved to be a significant one for the Rams.The Giants suffered their worst loss of the season, as the Rams forced three turnovers on them.

During the second quarter, wide receiver Robert Woods outran the Giants’ secondary to make the longest touchdown of his career and his first with the Rams.

“I] saw a lot of grass, blockers, and then the end zone and just tried to get there,” Woods said in an interview with ESPN. “It [was] my first one, so I made sure I ran through the end zone, right through the line.”

At this game, the NFL’s Next Gen Stats initiative tracked that three players—Gurley, receiver Sammy Watkins, and Woods—all topped 20 miles per hour as ball carriers.   

Compared to last year’s total of 224 points after 16 weeks, the Rams’ 263 point total at eight weeks is a sign that the Rams have a shot at making it to the Superbowl.

“We’ve got a connected team right now, and we want to continue to stay connected,” McVay said to Fox Sports.