Girls golf swings to league championship

By Jannelle Dang

Features Editor

The Gabrielino  girls golf team concluded a successful season in the individual California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) rounds that took place on Oct. 18 at the Whittier Narrows course in Rosemead. Senior Stephanie Foo and sophomore Casey Chenh tied for fifth place, and senior Bianca Lee ranked seventh place. All three girls earned first team awards.

“One of my goals the next [season] is to be [in the] top four so I can qualify to play with even better people and represent our league,” stated Chenh.

Senior Jasmine Lam, junior Samantha Tang, and freshman Madeline Tao also competed in the CIF match.

They advanced after competing in the league preliminary round, which took place one day prior to finals on Oct. 17. Even though the course was new ground for the Lady Eagles, they still excelled, as all six girls who competed in the preliminary match moved on to finals as well.

The top six players will move on to team California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) rounds, which will be held on Oct. 30 at the Los Serranos Country Club in Chino Hills. Coach Steve Swanson determines which individuals qualify by looking at their average score for each game over the course of the season, and then selecting the six girls with the lowest number of strokes.

“Many of us have broken our personal records,” said senior Bianca Lee. “This season is probably my favorite [because] I got to play with other girls from our league who I have never played with before, and it was nice to get to know them.”

The Lady Eagles are undefeated in their league, and have become league champions again.Two years ago, the team was league co-champions with South Pasadena.This is the first time in the school’s history that the girls golf team has been titled the sole winners of the championship.

“I’m so proud of my team,” beamed captain Jasmine Lam, senior. “They spend a lot more hours on the course even when we don’t have official practices. We set a goal to earn the league title and our determination to fulfill it paid off.”  (Full disclosure: Lam is a photographer for the Tongva Times).

Girls golf won their final victory together as a team on Oct. 12 against Azusa High School, 203-266.

The team continued its winning streak on Oct. 10, when the Eagles achieved another win against Alhambra High School, 219-302.

They also defeated Rowland High Schoo on Oct. 5, 211-254, and narrowly triumphed over South Pasadena, 204-211, on Oct. 3.