Breaking the Ice once again

By, Christine Tran

On Sept. 16, the Gabrielino Eagles Speech and Debate team hosted their 21st Icebreaker tournament. For most competitors, this is the first tournament of their speech career.

With eight high schools from around the area coming to participate, students were given the chance to form new bonds and break the ice.

“I just want to have fun and meet new people because It get to compete last year s nice to be back and see,” stated Megan Pham, a senior from Arcadia High School.

During Icebreaker, novice members are paired with a JV or varsity member to compete in a total of four rounds. Rounds one and three were impromptu duo and radio interview. Competitors were given a scenario to act out in under five minutes, with the latter round done in an interview format. Rounds two and four were spar and character debate, during which speakers debated general topics. In round four, they ware given the extra challenge of debating while in character.

It was so great watching oths speeches and seeing –
    ley Fung, Gabrielino freshman. Icebreaker is different from a typical tournament because it is completely student-run. Competitors judge each other, while varsity students organize rooms, total scores, and set up awards. In recent years, the Scream-
    Eagles have opened up the Icebreaker tournament to all stu-
    dents at Gabrielino.

This year, four students not currently enrolled in the speech class decide s first and last tournament, so [no] matter what happens, I think that everything we do will be memorable,” stated sophomore Sarah Vuong, whose partner, senior Anna Sam, is not in Speech.

At the end of the day, the Eagles did not walk away with any awards but, to them, the sole purpose of this tournament was not to win. Instead, it was to enjoy their time performing and meet new people to share the experience with. It was a good first to the last of my speech career,” said Leslie Tran, senior.