Volunteer hours offer numerous benefits

By, Lana Hy

In order to give students the opportunity to become leaders and learn, many high
    schools make volunteering a requirement for graduation. Some may argue that stu-
    dents should only volunteer if they have a genuine passion for helping. However,
    making community service mandatory at Gabrielino High School can teach stu-
    dents valuable skills for their future while serving the environment.

According to Scholarships.com, students who donate countless hours to help those in need are eligible for more scholarships in college. Involvement in volunteer clubs on campus exposes students to opportunities for more scholarships during the college application process as well. Time management is a skill that volunteers learn. When students are busy with homework, extracurricular activities, and community service, they must develop a method to use their time wisely. Being able to manage time in high school is vital to success in college and beyond.

According to Learning Works For Kids, Prioritizing duties] is the thinking skill that helps children plan tasks and accurately judge the amount of time needed to complete them. It helps them do activities in a timely fashion, and learn to manage and stick to a schedule.” Participating in services is also healthy way to be active and get involved. Furthermore, volunteering helps students improve or maintain mental stability. ciated with positive outcomes during the stated Child Trends. “Teens who volunteer are less likely to use drugs, and are more likely to have positive academic, psychologi” According to the New York Times, being required to perform 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement helped Emily Fried, a Roslyn High School graduate, discover the joy of volunteering.

By the end of her high school career, Fried had completed 350 hours and volunteered in various places in her community, including her elementary school. “If [volunteering] was not mandatory, I never would have looked into doing it,” Fried stated. “But once I started, I liked it, [and] I have continued doing it because I realize how important it is to help other people. It has been very fulfilling for me.” Schools like South Pasadena High School and Temple City High School require students to perform a certain amount of community service in order to graduate.

Gabrielino should immulate these schools to ensure that more teens are one step ahead in preparing for college and entering the workforce. Because teens are overwhelmed with school work and extracurricular activities, Gabrielino should require just ten hours of service from each student for each high school year to give them the benefits of serving, without adding stress. The benefits of volunteering are valuable for all high schools students. By making volunteering a graduation requirement, Gabrielino opens new opportunities for students to graduate as adults that are ready to be active citizens of the world.