Girls volleyball sets up successful season

By, Christopher Lung

World Editior

The Gabrielino High School varsity girls volleyball team will face off against El Monte High School in an away game this afternoon at 3:15 p.m. The matchup will complete the first round in the Mission Valley League series.

Last year, the El Monte Lions finished second in the league, 10-2, behind the undefeated Eagles, 12-0. Gabrielino triumphed against El Monte in both matchups during the 2016 season, most recently defeating them on Oct. 21, 3-0.

“I want to make the most of my senior year and hope to make it to the [California Interscholastic Federation playoffs],” stated co-captain Audrey Kuptz, senior.

This past Wednesday, Gabrielino played at home against South El Monte High School. Scores were not available during press time.

Gabrielino challenged Arroyo in an away game last Friday. The Eagles pushed its league record to 4-0 after beating the Knights, 3-0.

On Sept. 20, GHS defeated Marshall High School in an away game, 3-0. The lead scorers included freshman Eunice Kay, sophomore Ilsa Weeks, juniors Reagan Duguid, Joy Hano, Leslie Pacheco, and senior Michelle Wee, with three receptions, two aces, one block, 3.7 kills, 2.5 digs, and 5.5 assists, respectively.  

GHS defeated Rosemead High School in a home game on Sept. 15, 3-0. The rivalry and tension filled the air amidst the rowdy spectators of both teams. RHS students cheered on one side while the Gabrielino students shouted encouragements on the other. The first set was close as the Panthers trailed by four points in the final score, but the Eagles successfully outlasted their opponents’ push.

The Pioneer Titans played Gabrielino in a non-league matchup on Sept. 12. GHS defeated the Titans, 3-0.

On Sept. 9, the Eagles competed in the Gold Division playoffs at the annual Garey Tri-City Tournament and defeated both Don Lugo and Diamond Ranch High School, 3-0 and 3-1, respectively. The wins helped secure a fourth consecutive championship for GHS.

The first round of the Garey Tournament began on Sept. 6, when the team swept the series against Rowland High School and Chino High School, both 3-0.

For the season league opener, the Eagles played at home against Mountain View High School in a home match on Sept. 8. The match ended with a Gabrielino victory, 3-0.

“Our team didn’t show up today,” stated Alex Soza, team captain of the MVHS volleyball team.

On Aug. 30, the Eagles played against the Torrance Tartars at the Molten Classic Tournament, which began on Aug. 24. Torrance defeated Gabrielino, 3-0.

GHS played Valley Christian High School at the Molten Classic on Aug. 28. The Eagles lost to the Crusaders, 3-1.

Gabrielino defeated both South High School and San Marino High School, 3-2, on Aug. 26.

Gabrielino faced off against Cypress High School on the first day at the Molten Classic. Although GHS staged a comeback in the third and fourth sets, the Centurions edged out the Eagles, 3-2.

“We’re [trying] to find the pieces and right combination to make the team lineups work,” stated Coach Cuong Chau.