Football kicks off new season facing challenges

By, Jasmine Lam

Tonight, the Gabrielino High School varsity football team will be facing South El Monte at 7p.m. Halftime will include a performance by the Gabrielino Eagle Marching Regiment (GEMR). In addition, ASB will be offering free face painting to students and
    families. For the Eagles, tonight will be a shot at redemption. Last year, the team fell short, losing to South El Monte, 14-56. “Honestly, it’ll be a challenge but I believe that we’re up for it,” said senior Kevin Le, who plays offensive tackle and defensive end. “Just like any team, they are a beatable team.”

Last Friday, GHS played in their first league game against Arroyo High School. During the first half, the team fought hard but at the end of the second quarter, the Knights’ offense had raced to the lead, 0-28. By the end of the night, the Eagles were defeated, 0-56. On Sep. 15, the Eagles held their annual Cancer Awareness Night against the Temple City Rams in a non-conference game. As the second quarter came to an end, the Rams managed to slip  through the Eagles defense and score a third touchdown, bringing the score to 21-0. Then, in the beginning of the third quarter, the Rams scored another touchdown. During the fourth quarter, junior Juan Yanez, wide receiver, scored a touchdown, putting the Eagles on the scoreboard, 7-28. Although the Eagles fought hard, they ultimately fell to the Rams, 7-35.

On Sep. 8, the Eagles went up against the Sierra Vista High School Don in a non-conference home game.Senior Steven Gomez, quarterback threw the football to senior Nyle Ussery-Brumfield, wide receiver, who caught the ball and proceeded to run the ball 40 yards down the field for a touchdown. During halftime, the Don struggled to break through the Eagles’ defense and fell to the Eagles, 13-16. On Aug. 25, GHS faced Costa Mesa High School in a non-conference game and were defeated, 7-19. “Though it’s early in the season, my main goal is to make sure no one gets hurt and that everyone gives [all] their effort,” stated captain and wide receiver, Nyle Ussery-Brumfield, senior. “If we give max effort, I believe
    that we will get into CIF.”