Apple unveils X-citing new technology

By, Ethan Tan

The highly anticipated iPhone X was unveiled on Sept. 12 at a media-only event at the new Apple Park campus in Cupertino, CA. Speculations about new iPhones were confirmed, as Apple released the iPhone X alongside the iPhone 8 models, Series 3 Apple Watches, and a new 4K Apple TV.

Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi, stated at the event, “[This is] the biggest design change that we’ve ever made to the iPhone.” The iPhone X features a faster hexa-core Apple A11 Bionic processor, new cameras, wireless charging capabilities, glass on both the front and back panels, a stainless steel bumper edge, and a new Super Retina True Tone edge-
    to-edge screen.

Also featured is Face ID, Apple’s Touch ID replacement, which uses the TrueDepth camera system that has depth and facial recognition features to enable users to unlock their phone with a quick glance. Apple promised that the new system will be safer than Touch ID as it approximates that there is only a one in a million chance that someone not registered to use the phone will be able to unlock the phone. The 12 megapixel (MP) dual cameras on the rear of the X have been redesigned to reduce motion through optical image stabilization in both cameras and produce better colors in all lighting situations. The seven MP TrueDepth camera features depth mapping for improved selfie image quality. The newly designed display is a 5.8 inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) display that not only features True Tone technology, which adjusts the screen’s color based on the ambient lighting of the room, but is also more power efficient and lasts two hours more than the iPhone 7.

Unlike previous iPhone models, the X will only come in two colors: silver and black.

“I’m a bit skeptical of Face ID due to failed on-stage demo, but I’m excited that I get an OLED screen in a small form factor,” stated Advanced Placement Physics teacher, Kevin McClure.

The iPhone X will be available Nov. 3 after the Oct. 27 pre-order date with either 64 gigabytes or 256 gigabytes of storage, starting at $999. The iPhone 8/8+ were launched alongside the X comes in the 4.7 inch standard size model while the plus comes with a 5.5 inch display. Both 8 models will ship with either 64 GB or 256 GB of storage. Standard size models start at $699 for 64 gigabytes and $849 for 256 gigabytes. Plus models start at $799 for 64 GB or $949 for 256GB. The iPhone 8 lineup shares the same features as the X, minus Face ID and the new OLED screen as it keeps the same form factor of the previous iPhone 7 models. The vc 8’s come in silver, gold, and space gray. “At last, the rumors are over.” stated Marques Brownlee, tech YouTuber.