Pride enhances school spirit

MASCOT (2)

By, Nyah Toomes

Participating in clubs, playing sports, and supporting athletic teams are significant
    aspects of a well-rounded high school experience. Students who show school spiritare proven to perform better academically and socially, and are generally happier com-
    pared to their under-spirited counterparts. Thus, school spirit is necessary because it can improve one’s time in school and foster a sense of community. According to Varsity Brands, a company that creates school gear and organize cheer activities, principals report that students who have high levels of spirit are 91 percent more confident and 90 percent more likely to become leaders compared to students with lower levels of school spirit.

“When students feel a sense of efficacy, they tend to be more involved, more in tune with the great opportunities which exist on their campus,” a principal stated in response to a survey by Harris Poll.  Showing pride for one’s school can lead to a positive learning environment. Being in a space with uplifting energy can cause the students to look forward to coming to school, instilling a positive attitude towards their
    education in them.

According to the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, a leading organization in integrative education, “Satisfying the social and emotional needs of students does more than prepare them to learn. It actually increases their capacity to learn.”

Being involved can also be a way to help students meet new people. Students uniting together school spirit creates a place where they feel like they belong, creating the notion that every individual is cared for and has a
    safe space.

Also, cheering and support for high school athletic teams also plays a role in athlete’s performance and drive during games. Student attendance and sup-
    port at a sporting event can change the momentum of the game and cause the athletes to
    put their best effort into winning the game, according to Bleacher
    Report. “I love feeling the energy of the [students],” stated varsity football player Jordin Stroman, senior. “[They] mean everything to the game, so without school spirit I feel like our team is pretty weak.”

Schools offer a multitude of activities for students to participate in, yet it is the student’s responsibility to take advantage of those opportunities. Showing school pride can be both exciting and rewarding, but students must first take the initiative to get involved on campus to foster the sense of spirit they desire.