San Gabriel hosts summer events

By Christine Tran

With summer just around the corner, the question of what to do with the endless amount of free time arises. Some people fill their schedules with summer school or overseas vacations but what many do not realize is that there are fun events planned right here in San Gabriel. These events provide entertainment at one’s convenience, so they’re easy to squeeze into a busy schedule.

San Gabriel kicks off summer with its “Summer Nights” series, in which the community service department will be hosting concerts and playing movies. The city will begin the summer series with a beach party and concert in the Mission District.

These events are a great way to relax outdoors with the family, while giving residents opportunities to get to know their neighbors. From food and music to entertainment and kids’ activities, the summer night series provides something of interest for all age groups. Dates are to be announced.

Later on in the summer, celebrate the country with San Gabriel’s Fourth of July and Kid’s Day parade. Beginning at Plaza Park and ending at Smith Park, this parade features a variety of activities and organizations around the community.

The celebration continues on into an afternoon of enjoying barbecue cooked by local police and firemen as well as games for kids, booths, and entertainment. There will also be a contest for the most patriotic costumes and parade floats for participants of all ages.

A little ways out of San Gabriel, but very much worth the extra drive lies the infamous 626 Night Market, one of the biggest food festivals of the year. From Friday, June 30 to Sunday, July 2, people can walk the market and browse through hundreds of booths offering food, merchandise, arts and crafts, all while live entertainment plays in the background. Admission is $3 on Friday and Sunday, or $5 Saturday at the gate. Kids six and under get in for free and there is free parking.