Swim dives into competitive season

By Angelina Liang

Addendum Editor

Following Spring Break, the GHS varsity boys and girls swim teams will be competing against Montebello High School at Smith Park on April 13.

The Eagles faced Schurr High School yesterday in a home meet at Smith Park. Results were unavailable at press time.

Both GHS teams competed in a rivalry meet against Mark Keppel High School (MKHS) last Thursday. MKHS brought a team almost twice the size of the Gabrielino team.

With many team members feeling under the weather, the GHS varsity boys emerged victorious, 90-80. The girls team suffered its first loss of the season, 52-118.

The 200 yard Medley Relay team of senior Megan Luc, freshman Rayana Ramirez, sophomore co-captain Victoria Sam, and sophomore Vanessa Wu finished in a close second behind MKHS in the varsity girls division, qualifying for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Championships. The boys relay team of senior Anthony Diep, senior co-captain Calvin Giang, junior Jeremy Nguyen, and junior Winfred Wang sped towards a first place finish as team members cheered in anticipation from the edges of the pool.

In 200 yard Freestyle, junior Miles Leon edged out all the competition while Giang swam towards a swift victory in 100 yard Butterfly and 100 yard Backstroke. The trend continued as Wang won the 50 yard Freestyle and earned a spot in the event at CIF, adding to the 33 CIF qualifications the Eagles have accumulated this season.

Giang, Leon, and Wang continued their winning streaks with first place finishes in all of their events at the meet.

GHS swept the 200 yard Freestyle Relay with the teams of junior Emily Hoang, Ramirez, Sam, and Wu and Diep, Leon, Nguyen, and Wang winning in each of their divisions.

“It’s not about how the day starts, it’s about how we choose to end the day,” stated Coach Tan.

Her words serve as a reminder to the GHS swim teams that no matter the circumstances, it is their decisions that will drive the results of this successful season.

In a meet on Mar. 16, the Eagles faced off against Alhambra High School at Granada Park, resulting in a win for GHS.

On Mar. 11, both girls and boys placed second at the Mt. Sac Invitational Meet.

The Eagles officially kicked off their season on Mar. 9 as both GHS teams won in a meet against San Gabriel High School at Rosemead Park.