Volleyball spikes its way to victory

By Christine Tran

The Gabrielino High School boys varsity volleyball team has high hopes as it officially begin its season. With 11 pre-season games, the boys are certainly warmed up and prepared for any challenge heading their way. The team’s goal for this season is win first in the Mission Valley league and secure a spot in California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs.

On Tuesday, the boys had their first league game against South Pasadena High School. Despite their efforts, the Eagles lost 3-1. Regardless of this outcome, the varsity team remains optimistic for the rest of season.

“I’m still feeling pretty good about the rest of season because I know that the team and I will improve along the journey of season,” said junior Noah Kim.

Last Thursday marked the end of the Eagles’ preseason with a 3-0 win in an away game against Village Christian High School.

“We learned how to operate as a team throughout of preseason,” stated senior Calvin Nguyen. “Over the last few games we’ve started to become more cohesive which I think comes with the experience of playing together.”

The home game last Tuesday against Maranatha High School resulted in a 3-1 win for the Eagles.

Following its 3-0 win on March 14 against Mark Keppel High School, the varsity team continued their preseason with another 3-0 win against West Adams High School on March 16.

On March 13, the boys went head to head with Taft High School in a home game. The Eagles fell to the Toreadors in a 0-3 loss.

The Eagles bounced back from their first 3-2 loss against St. Genevieve on March 2 with two consecutive 3-1 wins against Bosco Tech and Salesian High School on March 6 and 7, respectively. Unfortunately, the boys ran into problems and suffered a 3-1 loss against San Gabriel Academy on March 9 and a 3-2 loss against Alhambra High School on March 8.

On Feb 28, the varsity team started off their preseason by securing a 3-2 win against Ontario Christian High.

With the league season starting up, the Eagles are more than ready to get the ball rolling and have a chance to develop better chemistry within the team.

“We’re pretty solid in terms of our blocks and hits despite hiccups here and there,” said Nguyen.