The 10: Starting the Day Right

By Kaylan Kha

Features Editor

Jasmine pointing

1. Plan the night before Planning the night before saves a lot of time for the day to come. Use an agenda to visualize your day. It prevents one from throwing on clothes and realizing later that wearing pattern on pattern was probably not the best choice.

Nyah eating

2. Eat a healthy breakfast starting the day off with a balanced breakfast is essential. As the most important meal, it can dictate how the rest of the day will go. A good breakfast constitutes of protein, whole grains, and fruit to keep one satiated longer.

Janelle drinking responsibly.jpg

3. Drink water. The first thing one should do in the morning is drink a cup of water. Drinking water on an empty stomach cleans the body’s internal system and increases its metabolism. It is recommended to drink 2 or 3 liters of water every day.

Ro writing

4. Write in a journal. Putting ideas on paper helps one visualize their goals. Journaling improves emotional intelligence and teaches self-discipline. It is also a great form of expression, serving as an outlet to release thoughts and unsaid words.

Christopher tree

5. Hug a tree. Scientific studies have shown that hugging a tree can improve a person’s health. The vibrational patterns of trees stimulate various aspects of the body and contribute to better cognitive and emotional function.

Kaylan rocking

6. Listen to heavy metal. There is no better way to start the day than to listen to endless screaming. A study conducted at the University of Queensland found that heavy metal emo, punk, and screamo elict positive feelings from listeners.

Jady meditation.jpg

7. Meditate and stretch. Meditation can reduce stress and provide some focus to the day and concentrating on breathing lends a sense of calmness. Stretching serves to loosen the muscles and increase blood flow throughout the body.

Tiffany smile

8. Smile! When a person smiles, their brain releases dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins—hormones that enhance mood. Smiling can also activate the brain’s orbitofrontal cortex, making one appear more attractive to others.

Group shot

9. Find something to be excited about. Having something to look forward to, like seeing an old friend, encourages proactivity rather than reactivity. Proactive people have more control of their lives because they are able to think ahead.

Cassandra dead

10. Embrace death as the inevitable. Some days are tougher than others. However, at the end of a particularly stressful day, one can find comfort in remembering that the only thing that is certain is that life will eventually come to an end.