Girls wrestling takes it to the mat

By Tiffany Kuo

Staff writer

On Jan. 20, the Gabrielino High School (GHS) girls varsity wrestling team headed to the El Monte Wrestling Tournament at Rio Hondo College for a two day meet, the last one before the CIF Qualifying Tournament on Feb. 5. This tournament capped off a commendable season for the girls as scores showed increasingly better performances with each competition.

Senior Skye-Lynn Bojorquez placed 2nd in the 150 weight category. Juniors Jezebel Diaz and Alexis placed 7th and 4th in 235 and 137 weight categories, respectively. Sophomore Cassidy Do placed 3rd in the 106 weight category.

“Our next tournament is CIF Qualifiers and it’s really exciting to see how we’ll do because we have so many new people on our team this year,” stated Do.

For the girls’ wrestling team, this season has definitely been one of upward growth. The team traveled to John Glenn High School on Jan. 6 to compete at the San Dimas tournament. The intense weekend was the most successful one for the team, with juniors Alexis Medina and Jezebel Diaz, senior Skye-Lynn Bojórquez, and sophomore Cassidy Do placing 6th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd, in their weight categories, respectively.

The team headed to La Puente High School from Dec. 16 to 17, where the girls wrestled with both diligence and skill for two days of competition, resulting in senior Jezebel Diaz placing fourth in the 235 weight category.

On Nov. 26, the girls competed in the 14th Annual Girls Rebel Rumble Tournament at Savanna High School. Do pinned her opponent down with single, definitive move allowing her to place first and bring home the team’s single medal for that competition.

The individual successes for the team are attributed to their hours of practice after school. Beginning with two-mile drills and ending with six-minute practice matches, coaches Michael Humphries and Mark Lemus have overseen tremendous development within the team and out on the mat.

According to Humphries, the goal for the team is to make it to State.

As the girls team completes its regular season, they are content with how they have developed both in size and commitment to the sport. They hope to see several returners and newcomers in the coming years to continue the legacy they have left so far.

“The girls team is growing,” stated senior Karina Gomez, “It’s great to see the dedication that not only the coaches have, but the girls as well.”