2017 ends multitasking for this writer

By Raymond Lo

Too often, New Year’s resolutions are regarded as preordained failures. However, they can make life better and more efficient.

Resolutions encourage one to achieve tasks that would otherwise never have been done.

To make the most out of the new year, here are some pragmatic tips for creating a realistic and achievable resolution:

1. Make a resolution that sounds reasonable and realistic.

2.Have your friends keep you accountable to help achieve that goal.

3. Have a positive mindset and keep in mind why the resolution is so important.

This year, my New Year’s resolution is to stop multitasking while doing homework. Trying to complete too many tasks at once is a problem that has plagued students for too long. It made me sacrifice a lot of time and sleep.

Even though keeping this resolution has been a struggle, the results are well worth it. Not only have I upheld my resolution, but I have encouraged my friends to make their own resolutions as well.

Whenever I think about giving up, I remind myself of how much time would be saved without multitasking and the overall benefit it would provide.

Upholding this New Year’s resolution has allowed me to sleep hours earlier and made learning more efficient. I have improved my attention span, allowing me to focus during class and better my understanding of the material.

Another benefit of not multitasking is that it teaches skills applicable later in life. By not getting sidetracked, I learned how to save time for what is important.

Even though keeping New Year’s resolutions is no easy feat, achieving them can help one grow into a better person.