Girls soccer kicks its way into season

By Linus Chhun

On Dec. 8, the Gabrielino High School (GHS) girls varsity soccer team played a hard-fought game against San Gabriel High School (SGHS), resulting in a blowout victory at home for the Lady Eagles, 7-0. The win increased their overall record to 2-2.

“Everyone is still [injured], we’ll try our best. But the newer players are coming into the field and so they will gain more experience,” stated Head Coach Rafael Moran.

The Lady Eagles knew what they were dealing with when they played against the Matadors. Past games against SGHS have resulted in three victories and one tie, 3-0-1, and GHS had been looking to add a fourth victory.

On Dec. 6, Gabrielino hosted a game against the Monrovia High School (MHS) Wildcats. Both sides fought with their best effort, but GHS eventually fell to the Wildcats, only scoring one goal, with the game resulting in a defeat of 1-4 for the Lady Eagles. However, the large amount of starting players that were out due to being ill or injured very likely played a major role in Gabrielino’s loss.

The girl varsity team hosted another game against the Westridge High School (WHS) Tigers on Dec. 2. Both sides fought valiantly, but, again, the loss of GHS players due to injuries and illnesses contributed to an end game score of 0-1, with victory belonging to WHS. The players who were out are expected to make an appearance by next week.

On Nov. 29, the girls varsity team attended the an away game at Montebello High School (MHS). This being the team’s first game of the season, the Lady Eagles handled themselves well. GHS outsmarted, out-played and out-scored MHS, defeating the Oilers with an overwhelming score of 4-0.

“Montebello has a strong squad and we have a new group. It takes a while [for our player  to get settled in] but I think we are ready,” said Moran.