Top ten mobile games for the inner iPad kid

By Jayden Tran | Staff Writer

1. Plants VS Zombies (2009) – This strange concept of plants fighting undead creatures serves as a surprising subversion of the old zombie trope. The game brings a simple concept, similar to tower defense, and draws out as much potential as it can with enemy types, maps, levels, and other side minigames.
  2. Angry Birds – Hurling forward feathered fowl at fearful hogs who hide from hell, and destroying buildings created by these pigs has never been more rewarding. The series spurred on countless sequels, delving into different genres. Such as “Angry Birds Epic”, “Angry Birds GO”, and “Angry Birds Space”, as well as two movies that tie into the franchise.
  3. Jetpack Joyride – Jetpack Joyride serves as an infinite side-scrolling action game. Due to the endless nature of the app, it leads to unlimited playthroughs and fun. Adding on the power-ups received during a normal game, the soundtrack, and the satisfying visuals, Jetpack Joyride becomes an addicting and enjoyable experience.
  4. Cut the Rope – The quest for candy has never been more entertaining than in “Cut the Rope”. Guiding the endearing character, Om Nom, through hundreds of levels, working and weaving through the puzzle mechanics, and eventually getting to the sweet satisfaction of candy, is greatly charming.
  5. Fruit Ninja – A very simple game where the main goal is to chop fruit out of the air like a ninja. Although already satisfying, the pleasure of slicing and dicing fruit being centralized in one’s pocket allows people to satiate their fruity desires on the go.
  6. Where’s My Water? – A puzzle game with innovative water physics, “Where’s My Water?” uses the tools available to make a fun puzzle game, meant to rack the brain. The adorable cartoony graphics and cute motives of the main character bring the game to life.
  7. Temple Run – Being a similar game to “Subway Surfers”, it shares many of the same pros. Although the art style is more gritty than “Subway Surfers”, it is just as, if not more addictive. Being more complex than the former game, it is clear why the game has received over a billion downloads.
  8. Subway Surfers – An endless runner with a catchy soundtrack, it keeps players hooked by seeing how far they can get. With easy controls to learn, a cartoony art style, unforgettable music, and tons of upgrades, it is no telling that thousands are hooked on the endless escape from that pesky cop and the felony that comes with it.
  9. Doodle Jump – The original endless game, Doodle Jump is one of the most straightforward games in mobile history. The only objective is to reach further heights. The pick-up and play nature of the game led to its success, and the cute art style lends to the reason why people continue coming back to it after 13 years.
  10. Talking Tom – A game geared towards young children by providing them with simple, but hilarious methods of entertainment. The cat, Tom, can be taken care of by giving him baths, feeding him, and more. The most memorable part of the game is the “Talking” part. Where he repeats what is said to him in his own , sometimes annoying, high-pitched voice.